[Solved] Intel E6600 shows up as 1.8ghz

15 posts in this topic

Hi

Im no expert in the new mac (work in pc market)

but shurly the motherboard sets the clock speed, and i doubt the mac will change it, the fsb on board is 1066MHz FSB

I know i run a 6600, the mac might just falsly report the speed

Try xbench (performance test) should tell you if its running at correct speed

This is my cpu result core 2 duo 6600, mine may not be set up perfectly but should be about right

CPU Test 124.69

GCD Loop 281.60 14.84 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 136.27 3.24 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 100.83 3.33 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 88.72 15.45 Mops/sec

Does sound like you are running at 1.8 gig htz

124 / 2.4 * 1.8 = 93

so maths add up you are running at 1.8 gig htz

problem is why? have you gone into M/B bios and checked settings for Processor?

Does the BIOS let you set the bus speed manually? On my boyfriend's new board and E6320, it originally booted at 1.4GHz until we changed the bus speed (it was at 200MHz initially for some reason).

As Sarahbau said

(Does the BIOS let you set the bus speed manually? On my boyfriend's new board and E6320, it originally booted at 1.4GHz until we changed the bus speed (it was at 200MHz initially for some reason).)

Bus speed needs to be set to 266 on motherboard

Can you see the processor speed displayed by the bios as the computer starts, its quite quick on these fast machines

mine shows 2.4 GHz! most pc's display a page or two after the startup beep!

cant help but feel that the motherboard/ M/B settings are at fault

bios upgrade is not a bad idea! can often allow for newer processors/ os features etc

Yes I manually set the FSB to 266 in the BIOS. Both on POST and in BIOS the speed is 2.4ghz and 1066 FSB (266x4). I have another hard rive I'm going to install OSX86 on to see what happens. Be back in an hour ;-)

Ok here is what happened:

I installed JaS 10.4.8 and it sees the CPU as 2.4ghz. When I run the JaS 10.4.9 Combo update with loginwindow patch and reboot, it sees it as 1.8ghz again. So Can someone help me fix this? Now I know it is the OS.

Its fixed. I was working on other things and had to repair disk permissions at one time. Once I rebooted I notice the time was running fast, so I knew that was the fsb issue in the com.apple.boot.plist file. I opened it up in terminal this time and not text editor and noticed that my setting was now missing. I keyed fsb=266 back into the file and saved and rebooted. Now it sees the CPU as 2.4!!!!! Thanks for your help guys this was fixed by accident.

BTW my Xbench score went from 110 to 195!!!

• 2 weeks later...

i now have this exact same problem with my E600 now that i have updated with the jas 10.4.9combo update. can someone please provide me detailed instructions on how to key in the proper fsb so i can run at full speed again? i am now running at only 1.8ghz.

thanks.

Yes, a detailed guide would be helpful. And unfortunate side effect of the system thinking I have a 1.8 GHz CPU when I really have 2.4 GHz is that every timed event runs 33% too fast - most notably the clock and watching videos. Thanks in advance!