Occational 640x480 rez with only cursor

guice

3 posts in this topic

Does anybody else have this problem?

Randomly, when I boot up, OSX will fail to properly start the desktop. It would load in 640x480 rez mode with a big far cursor in the upper left going through what looks like an infinate loop/crash. The only way to fix it is reboot and hopes something loads correctly this time.

What's causing it? I can never tell it'll happen until after the loginwindow (I assume?) starts up -- so going into Verbose mode doesn't show me anything.

I think the desktop will load correctly when my cursor is normal size (1280x1024 rez). If it's giant, the screen will go through what looks like an infinate crash/restart of something.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anybody else have this problem?

Randomly, when I boot up, OSX will fail to properly start the desktop. It would load in 640x480 rez mode with a big far cursor in the upper left going through what looks like an infinate loop/crash. The only way to fix it is reboot and hopes something loads correctly this time.

What's causing it? I can never tell it'll happen until after the loginwindow (I assume?) starts up -- so going into Verbose mode doesn't show me anything.

I think the desktop will load correctly when my cursor is normal size (1280x1024 rez). If it's giant, the screen will go through what looks like an infinate crash/restart of something.

Exact same problem here. I just changed from an AMD system (tubgirl install) to a Core2 system (jas install, 10.4.8 up to 10.4.9 w newest kernel) and didn't see this very often before. Now it happens every other time I boot.

Is it detecting something and then forgetting it every time? After a failed boot, it only remembers the correct config for one use then it is gone again until after next failed attempt.

I am running an Intel 975XBX2 motherboard with an ASUS Geforce 7300GT, Core2 E6700 CPU.

• 1 month later...