Verizon plans iPhone competitor

sev7en

5 posts in this topic

Full Story: http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/05/25/verizon/index.php

Verizon Wireless is plotting a response to AT&T’s widely-anticipated Apple iPhone offering, according to published reports.

Apple previewed iPhone at the Macworld conference in January. It will feature a 3.5-inch, 160 dot-per-inch color screen, a 2 megapixel digital camera and a touchscreen Apple calls “Multitouch,” which is designed to enhance accuracy by ignoring unintended touches.

iPhone will be 11.6 millimeters thick — thinner than typical smartphones, according to Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

AT&T has exclusive rights to offer iPhone for five years. It will be available from the carrier next month.

Verizon Wireless’ counter is the LG Prada, or KE850, according to TheStreet.com. Prada is a sleek handset similar in look to the iPhone, the Web site reports. It includes a camera, and can play music and videos and allow for document viewing.

iPhone will cost US$500 while Prada is expected to retail for around $600. The offering is seen as key for Verizon Wireless to attempt to stem the tide of customers to iPhone and AT&T.

Verizon Wireless was not immediately available for comment. USA Today recently quoted Verizon COO Denny Strigl stating that the carrier will have a response to iPhone by late summer.

I know the LG Prada and it is really great looking device but just that: Apple's iPhone is a generation ahead (at least 1).

For those who are looking for info about this terminal, here's an in-depth review from CNet.

200701120000381phone_411.jpg

Would I take OS X (iPhone) or Windows Mobile 6 (Prada)?, power of Quartz Extreme (iPhone), or Adobe Flash Lite (Prada)?, $500 (iPhone) or $600 (Prada)....argh choices choices. :)

^ I would take the iPhone over the Prada anyday.