Is there a Low Level Format Util for SATA Hard disk drives

12 posts in this topic

Go to the website of the drive manufacturer. Seagate, WD, and Maxtor have utilities you can download to create a boot floppy or CD that will erase all partition and boot sector information, or even write zeros to the entire drive

Its a Maxtor and the Maxblast software does not do a Low Level format

need something like Ontrack Disk Manager

i corrupted the drive playing around loading OSX on it

There are plenty of pc utils

>Its a Maxtor and the Maxblast software does not do a Low Level format

>i corrupted the drive playing around loading OSX on it

There's no such thing as low-level format for IDE/PATA/SATA drives. Maybe at the factory but not as a software utility. Just checked the Maxtor website (which jumps to Seagate). If the Maxblast utility doesn't have the erase feature, you can download SeaTools for DOS, it creates a boot floppy. Then you can erase track 0 or the entire drive, either way and the disk will be clean of all boot, partition, and OS information.

Been low level formating drives for years SCSI is built into the controller, some older motherboards had the utility in bios, Ontrac Disk Manages does it, but my full copy is old and does not do SATA

Good ones remap bad sectors as SCSI ones do, producing a clean error free drive

This SW does it on a pc,

HDD Low Level Format Tool is a freeware utility for low-level hard disk drive formatting. This small program will erase, Low-Level Format and re-certify a SATA, IDE or SCSI hard disk drive. Will work with USB and FIREWIRE external drive enclosures. Low-level formatting of Flash Cards is supported too. Low Level Format Tool will clear partitions, MBR, and every bit of user data.

<http://www.downloadjunction.com/product/store/26582/index.html>

Use Darik's Boot & Nuke. Simply the best. Boot from the CD & you can erase drives with various algorithms. Here are the features:

Wipe Methods

Quick Erase (Fills Drive with 0's)

Canadian RCMP TSSIT OPS-II Standard Wipe

American DoD 5220-22.M Standard Wipe

Gutmann Wipe

PRNG Stream Wipe

Enhancements

8/33/137 gigabyte disk size BIOS limit fix

Fast PRNG (Mersenne Twister)

Entropy Seeding

Verification

Logging

Hardware Drivers

Controllers: XT, IDE, PATA, SATA, SCSI

Consoles: Serial, HGA, VGA

Buses: ISA, MCA, PCI

So... basically it's killer.

And Oh yeah! :o Did I mention? It's Open Source. ^_^B)

try Acronis boot loader it will let you format the hdd and there are utilites that will let you low level format the hdd but usually you can get them from the manufacturer.

and if the unit is not posting from that drive you will have to boot from another hdd and use an external sata to usb connector.