time in OSs wrong

manan

5 posts in this topic

well im facing a peculiar situation where the times in my different OSs is different and incorrect:

vista will show some ohter time

mac will show some other time

xp shows some other time :?

also auto time set is disabled both in vista and mac ... iv gotosx 10.4.8 on my system

any ideas

It's a problem reported several times here. Do a search on the string "wrong time" and you'll see some solutions. I noticed it right away when I set the time in my motherboard BIOS to the correct time, and then OSX says it's several hours later than it really is. So I set the correct time in OSX and then the motherboard time is off several hours. Not a problem since I don't dual boot. One person offered the solution where you set the time zone in OSX such that the reported time is correct for what's stored in the real time clock of the motherboard, which vista and XP pickup when they boot. There are other tweeks which you can explore as well.

Hi Manan:

I had the same issue on all of my dual boot OSx86 and Windows machine. Windows and OS X use different ways to pull their time from the system.

There are couple workarounds:

1) If you use Windows as your primary OS: boot into Windows and set correct time. Also make sure the auto-set is turned on. Next, boot into Mac OS and then go to System Preferences - Date and Time - Time Zone. Set your Time Zone to another zone until the correct time appears. Make sure the auto time update is turned off.

2) If you use Mac OS X as your primary OS: Boot into Mac OS X. Go into System Preferences - Date and Time. Make sure the time is correct and make sure auto time update is turned on. Next, boot into Windows. Make sure that auto time is turned off. Use the registry hack below to set RealTimeIsUniversal=1.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html

That's about it. Since I'm primarily using OS X on my machine, I chose the second option.