Not connecting to network share

The Fonze

10 posts in this topic

Hi

I am running Jas 10.4.9 and I cannot connect to any shares on my windows network.

In Finder/Network I can see the domain, all the computers and all the shares on my network and OSX prompts me for a password and it seems to authenticate then I get the error message.

The alias "
computer name
" could not be opened because the original item cannot be found.

This is what comes up in the log files when I try to connect through Finder/Network

console.log

kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext loaded successfully

mount_smbfs: mount error: /Volumes/ENDEAVOR-2K;SERVER-DOMAIN: syserr = Invalid argument

system.log

May 22 19:31:06 nick-computer kernel[0]: netsmb_dev: loaded

May 22 19:31:15 nick-computer kernel[0]: mount version mismatch: kernel=103600, mount=103500

If I try to connect from the Finder/Go/Connect to Server menu by manually putting in the path to the server smb://ServerName/ShareName/ I get prompted for a password the I receive the error

Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occured (Error code -50)

If I type in the wrong password I get the error that the password is incorrect so it is authenticating.

This is what appears in the log files when I try to connect from Finder/Go/Connect to Server

system.log

May 22 23:18:51 nick-computer kernel[0]: mount version mismatch: kernel=103600, mount=103500

console.log

mount_smbfs: session setup phase failed: syserr = Permission denied

mount_smbfs: mount error: /Volumes/Music: syserr = Invalid argument

I have tried to research this problem extensively without any luck and all other network activity works ok. I included this problem in another post along with numerous other problems and thought a post dedicated to just this specific problem might be more helpful.

I have the same problem. I can see my XP computer from the network screen in Finder, but when it asked for my password, I get the alias error. I tried typing the address in the GO and got the -50 error as well. My intention is to connect to the XP computer and transfer some mp3s so I have something to listen to on the OSX box.

I solved it!! Finally. :thumbsup_anim:

I've been trying to work out a solution for days. Firstly if you just want to copy some files across without making any modifications just activate windows sharing from System Preferences / Sharing and you should be able to do the transfer from the windows box but you still won't be able to connect from the osx box. To do this you need to change or edit the smbfs.kext in your extensions folder and repair the permissions.

What I did. I had installed Tubgirl 10.4.8 release on another hard drive and samba (windows sharing) worked fine both ways but tubgirl was really slow on my PC. All I did was copy the smbfs.kext from the tubgirl install and replaced it in my Jas install, repaired permissions rebooted and presto! Everything worked. I am not too sure what the specific changes within the kext need to be made if you don't have a working copy of the kext but I will try to compare the two and post the changes necessary.

I would post the kext but I don't think it's allowed

Maybe you could post it to rapid share or make a torrent for it? Or e-mail or PM me about it. Anything would be greatly appreciated by me. That's great you found a fix. Maybe it wouldn't be too difficult to alter the kext by hand, but I don't have the working kext to make the comparison. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

In JAS10.4.9 Combo Update.zip you will find an additional zip which resolves this problem.

The additional zip in the 10.4.9 Combo is not a zip the file is MPIP103_10.4.9.SMB.CIFS.APF.FIX.dmg and it does not resolve the problem but thanks for your input.

Ok, so I took the smbfs.kext file from TubGirl, and moved it into the Extensions folder, copying over the old version. I then went to disk utility and hit repair permissions and then I restarted the computer. However, nothing has changed. I go to Network and it sees the computer, but when I double click the computer, it asks me to log in, asks me to Select the SMB/CIFS shared volume I want to connect to then gives me the alias could not be opened because the original item cannot be found error. I try to Connect to Server and I get the -50 error code.

Hmm... I think I'm going to download and try out TubGirls AMD release because I hear it has SATA support and this network issue doesn't exist. We'll just see if it is slower than JaS on my configurations.

Thanks.