Messing with booting

eXKR

9 posts in this topic

I have a booting setup with WinXP and OSx86. I have done it with Chain0, at startup it loads the WinXP bootloader (Chain0) and I'm able to choose OS. If I choose OSx86 it then loads the Darwin bootloader and I have again to choose the OSx86 partition.

My question is if I can skip the Darwin's one, I mean, is it possible to boot OSx86 without having to choose it twice?

PS - I have tryed editing com.apple.Boot.plist with rd=disk0s5 (my correct OSx86 partition) but it doesn't work... how this .plist should be edited to direct boot into OSx86? (remember it always starts with Chain0... is it better to change the way I boot?)

Thanks

I have a booting setup with WinXP and OSx86. I have done it with Chain0, at startup it loads the WinXP bootloader (Chain0) and I'm able to choose OS. If I choose OSx86 it then loads the Darwin bootloader and I have again to choose the OSx86 partition.

My question is if I can skip the Darwin's one, I mean, is it possible to boot OSx86 without having to choose it twice?

PS - I have tryed editing com.apple.Boot.plist with rd=disk0s5 (my correct OSx86 partition) but it doesn't work... how this .plist should be edited to direct boot into OSx86? (remember it always starts with Chain0... is it better to change the way I boot?)

Thanks

You need to edit this to make your timeout 0 or 1. Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>0</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Thanks guys.

Right now I'm at work so I will try later, but, I´m not sure if it will work, I did something similar and I got a loop between bootloaders:

1) startup

2) win bootloader -> default OSx86 with 5 sec delay

3) automatically boots Darwin bootloader -> it jumps back to step 2)

When I forced Darwin bootloader to load on my OSx86 partition with option <string>rd=disk0s5<\string> nothing happens and continue looping.

Any clue?

Thanks again.

=)

Well, I have already tryed it and it doesn't work, it always jumps back to the Win bootloader.

Why is the rd=disk0s5 command not working?

Or how can I setup my boot with another loader so that I get the "one button press" OS load?

Thanks

you will survive...

Try from the early beggining by partitioning your drive.

C:/ WinXP NTFS primary active.(2/5 drive capacity)

D:/ MacOs FAT32 primary.(2/5 drive capacity)

D:/ SWAP FAT32 primary(1/5 drive capacity) (storage and communication).

Install Acronis Disc Director on your XP and activate Acronis Os Selector.

Make a BootCD with acronis just in case that you mess your boot options again.

Install and enjoy a well functioning system.

Good luck.

you will survive...

Try from the early beggining by partitioning your drive.

C:/ WinXP NTFS primary active.(2/5 drive capacity)

D:/ MacOs FAT32 primary.(2/5 drive capacity)

D:/ SWAP FAT32 primary(1/5 drive capacity) (storage and communication).

Install Acronis Disc Director on your XP and activate Acronis Os Selector.

Make a BootCD with acronis just in case that you mess your boot options again.

Install and enjoy a well functioning system.

Good luck.

So you mean I should format and start from scratch, doesn't it?

Is it not a better solution that fixes my problem?

Thanks anyway, it is a solution to try once I have no other way :boxing:

There are people who have had success with Acronis OS Selector (aoss), and those who haven't.

You've heard those who haven't.

That's all.

I did have a problem with it in the past, but never since I've installed it in a non-system fat32 partition (and from the acronis bootable cd), the advantage being that I could wipe any of my win system without losing aoss.

But it's never the first solution i suggest for dual/multi-booting. I always prefer the simplest/fastest, like darwin's bootloader or grub. There's also vista's bootloader, properly configured. The advantage with these is that they're already there, coming with their respective ose's, and are ALL going to be used anyway at one point, even if aoss is used... they're just chainloading each other. So why introduce yet another bootloader?

Well, aoss does have its advantages, but it comes later in my suggestions. It's not my preferred way for multiboot, but i do not share some people's hate for it though.