Build your own mac mini?

3 posts in this topic

I'm wondering what parts you would need to have a fully compatible mac mini that was custom built. What motherboard does the mac mini use (i'm assuming intel 945?) and where could you get one from? I'd be very interested in making one with, say, this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811165041

but would also want to kick up the specs of the normal mac mini, core 2 duo, bigger hard drive, etc. Could this be done and would it be able to run a real version of osx, not hacked? Thanks to all, Matt

There's no way to run a "real" version of Mac OS X without a real Mac. No PC motherboards have the required Apple EFI to boot an unmodified system. I say wait a little while for Apple to update the Mac Mini. The only Mini ITX form factor I've seen that looks like it would work with osx86 is AOpen's miniPC, which ends up being quite a bit more expensive than a Mac Mini just to get a Core 2 Duo over the Mac Mini's Core Duo (they charge $400 for the computer with no RAM, HD, or CPU). The current Mini hasn't been updated in 256 days, which is longer than normal between updates, so something is almost definitely coming soon, especially since the MacBooks were just updated. I'd be surprised if a new Mac Mini didn't come out in the next 4 weeks with 1.86/2.0GHz (maybe 2.16GHz) Core 2 Duo and 1GB RAM standard.

You can build a hackintosh with better specs than the Mac Mini for a bit less, but I don't think you can build one in the same form factor for less.