Still the problem "About this Mac"

GKW

5 posts in this topic

I've asked the question about "About this Mac" problem in another thread, i know that i've got to install 10.4.4 loginwindow patch, but i've got another trouble when replacing loginwindow.app.

i've search the forum and found 10.4.4 loginwindow as told, but when i'm copying the file to /System/Library/CoreServices, it tells me that "the item 'loginwindow' is in use".

i've searched the forum, but i didn't find the answer, would you pls tell me how to replace the loginwindow.app, thanks a lot!

btw, i've tried the 10.4.4.loginwindow.pkg from the installation DVD, but it doesn't work. i clearly remember that i've checked the 'loginwindow' patch when i installed the system, i don't think installing loginwindow.pkg from the DVD again would help.

thanks a lot!

Use "-s" at the bootprompt to go to singleuser mode and then copy it from there. You may want to read some linux/unix system comands if you don't know how.

is '-s' @ the boot prompt the same as 'sudo -s' in the terminal?

no, definetly not. I'll explain it: loginwindow is used by the GUI (Graphical User Inteface) of OS X, so what you need to do is turning the fancy graphic off. To do so you'll need to boot OS X with the -s Option. So there will be no login or something, just some DOS/Linux-Like Prompt asking for input. On this prompt you have root (Admin) Rights and can to anything. What sudo does is very similar, exept that you can't do *everything*. In fact you can to most things+running graphic stuff with root-rights, but you can't change things related to the gui when it is running, so you'll need the singleuser mode for that part. To help you out a bit, here's an example:

to replace login window you'll need to boot with '-s' and then execute the cammand os x is displaying you (something with beginning with mount), that'll give you writ-right on the harddisk. Then use cd (ChangeDir) and the Path where the app is located. Then 'rm -r' (ReMove) an dthe name. -r stands for recursive, because it's in fact an directory (all apps in os x are). Then cp (CoPy) folowed by the path+name where you stored the replacement and then where you want to copy it to (for current directory just use . (dot)). But remember on localised systems don't use the translated paths (for example in the german GUI the desktop is "'OS X HDD' -> 'Benutzer' -> 'MyName' -> 'Schreibtisch'", but on the prompt it is like it woud be in english (/Users/MyName/Desktop), just for the case you aren't on a english system.