Philosophical Question

2 posts in this topic

Just a question I was kicking around in my head so I figured I would share my pointless pondering with the world....

Say I had a license for 10.4 on PPC that I had purchased and the Mac I loaded it on was fried. Since I had purchased that license, would loading the 10.4 x86 release on a beige box be considered piracy?

I am not saying I have done such a thing, nor do I encourage others to take what I have said above as encouragement to do so. I am just curious as whether popular opinion would find that acceptable, or for the more legally studied out there, has something like that ever been determined to be legal or illegal?

Just a question I was kicking around in my head so I figured I would share my pointless pondering with the world....

Say I had a license for 10.4 on PPC that I had purchased and the Mac I loaded it on was fried. Since I had purchased that license, would loading the 10.4 x86 release on a beige box be considered piracy?

I am not saying I have done such a thing, nor do I encourage others to take what I have said above as encouragement to do so. I am just curious as whether popular opinion would find that acceptable, or for the more legally studied out there, has something like that ever been determined to be legal or illegal?

Purchasing Office XP for Windows, then downloading and installing Office 2004 for Mac OS X wouldn't be legal, and it's essentially the same thing.

From the first part of the license agreement:

This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time during the term of this License for evaluation and development purposes only.

For all intents and purposes, legally, you are fscked if Apple so wishes. :D