graphical linux os but without X11

one_7

14 posts in this topic

afaik there is no distro that uses a window server diferent than x11 by default. but you can use another one.. off course. there are a lot of alternatives.

but x11 it's not the old {censored} it was years ago. now it's very good indeed expecially after modularization.

afaik there is no distro that uses a window server diferent than x11 by default. but you can use another one.. off course. there are a lot of alternatives.

but x11 it's not the old {censored} it was years ago. now it's very good indeed expecially after modularization.

can you give an example?

i am kind of noobs in linux..can you explain me about modularization?...thanks..

Xorg, the current X11 implementation that (almost) every distro is using now, is a fork of a pretty old project: xfree86.

even tho xfree86 was working fine... it was slow and unstable, cos of old code gained and piled in years of development, and somewhat out of standard considering the way linux is developing now.

with Xorg all is got more organized and a lot of code was cleaned.

another factor of the slow development in years is that its structure was a monolithic pile of pretty disorganized code

with the 7.0 release, xorg manteiners decided to modularize the source code dividing it in subprojects.

this way developers can focus on their own duty w/out bother of others work. this gives room for optimization :rolleyes:

with the 7.1 release,

GPU manifacturers started to work alltogheter to bring up some unified standards.

and aiglx popped up.

aiglx is the core that makes the baryl magic light in our eyes :censored2:

a fully accelerated 3D desktop that flies.. really

other x11 alternatives are usually installed because of lack of space or special gpu needs(you got a GPU that doesn't have an accelerated driver) and they aren't so usefull in matter of hard multimedia tasks

one over the others.. Directfb :censored2:

• 3 weeks later...
no...x11 is for unix. windows is not unix. thats why its so unstable.

That's complete {censored}.

Well, not the bit about Windows. Windows is not unix, and windows IS unstable.

But BeOS was stable, and it's not UNIX, so was RiscOS and many others.

X11 can be run on Windows using a POSIX compliency layer called Cygwin. Google it.

*NIX software needs to be recompiled from source code and often slightly modified before it'll run under cygwin, but it's an easy way to port big UNIX apps without completely rewriting them for the new OS.

• 2 weeks later...
X11 can be run on Windows using a POSIX compliency layer called Cygwin. Google it.

True (and it's the X11 server I use on Windows these days), but X11 needn't even have anything to do with POSIX compliance. Completely standalone Windows X11 servers are made by several companies. When I was in college the university had one (Hummingbird eXceed IIRC) on site license for students to be able to remote into the Solaris lab machines from the Windows machines most students had in their dorms.

With CYGWIN and X11, you can actually recompile a decent number of UNIX programs and run them natively under Windows, much like you can under OS X and it's X11 server.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I find that one of the major advantages of running Linux is the possibility of using KDE, which IMO is the best Desktop Environment of any OS. In order to run KDE you'll need Xorg, as simple as that.

Actually I find that one of the major advantages of running Linux is the possibility of using KDE, which IMO is the best Desktop Environment of any OS. In order to run KDE you'll need Xorg, as simple as that.

not osx???

hoho

not osx???

hoho

KDE has some (actually many) usability advantages over OS X, IMO.

The main reasons I use OS X (more often than Linux) are:

1)Better multimedia support (very important)

2)A few more games, although for that you really want Windows.

3)Some great apps.

4)Better virtualization support (in Linux Parallels sucks, absolutely. VMware messes your kernel up)

On top of that I like that OS X uses a microkernel.