Mini Mac ?

11 posts in this topic

My son is about to go to Bolton University in September to do some sort of music/computer course and needs a computer to take with him. He used to own a Windows XP laptop, but it broke and he is now without anything. Anyway he wouldn't mind buying a Mac, but only has about £400 to play with, so has been looking at buying a mini mac. He's already got a flat screen monitor to go with it, but would like to know if it's worth buying a mini mac or should he just forget all about Macs and stick to buying a new PC Laptop ?

well the mac mini's now available are way underpowered, you are better off to go with a macbook pro, it costs a lot, but you said he will be playing with music and computers so he will need the power, but for now i personally dont recommend getting a mac mini.

Well, i think he's wanting to have a mess with ilife, but i'm not sure what else. I know he wants internet access to be able to chat with his friends that are all going to different university's. I don't think he can afford anything better than a £400 computer though.

yea either go with student discount or the refurb store, its the same warranty but just on a refurbed computer, the refurbished ones usually are cheaper. if all wants to do is ilife i recommend you go for the low-end macbook, they just lowered the price on it and bumped up the processor. check it out and see

Or you could put the 400 pounds in a bank with a decent interest, and then wait for the money to increase exponentially, and the price of computers to drop exponentially, and then, you'll be able to buy a good Mac.

The reason why you shouldn't buy a Mac Mini is because the Mini is amazingly expensive for a computer of its hardware. A PC of the same specifications or better can be bought for half the price. As for why the Mac Mini is so expensive, that's because Apple spent too much resources making it small rather than making it fast. Furthermore, it is not a good idea to bring a small desktop computer into lectures at universities. If you want decent computing, a macbook is good enough for a university student.

Alternatively, buy a Windows laptop and do OSX86.

Or you could put the 400 pounds in a bank with a decent interest, and then wait for the money to increase exponentially, and the price of computers to drop exponentially, and then, you'll be able to buy a good Mac.

The reason why you shouldn't buy a Mac Mini is because the Mini is amazingly expensive for a computer of its hardware. A PC of the same specifications or better can be bought for half the price. As for why the Mac Mini is so expensive, that's because Apple spent too much resources making it small rather than making it fast. Furthermore, it is not a good idea to bring a small desktop computer into lectures at universities. If you want decent computing, a macbook is good enough for a university student.

Alternatively, buy a Windows laptop and do OSX86.

actually there was a thread where a person proved that buying a PC with exactly the same specs (including bluetooth etc) and adding software comparable to what comes with OS X - that computer actually comes out to be higher in price

yea either go with student discount or the refurb store, its the same warranty but just on a refurbed computer, the refurbished ones usually are cheaper. if all wants to do is ilife i recommend you go for the low-end macbook, they just lowered the price on it and bumped up the processor. check it out and see

Just searching through the refurbs now. Found some laptops at around £400. Ibook G3 800Mhz is under the price he can afford, but i'm finding better on Ebay. Oh well, i'll keep looking.

Just searching through the refurbs now. Found some laptops at around £400. Ibook G3 800Mhz is under the price he can afford, but i'm finding better on Ebay. Oh well, i'll keep looking.

I would not buy a Ibook it's not powerfull enough.

I have a MacBook Pro myself it's very powerfull, i know it is much money

but if you going to do Music editing and all for school you really need a good powerfull Machine.

And in the end its really worth the money.

Good luck.

After all that searching and messing around, he's ordered the Mini Mac that he was going to order in the first place. He got the student discount and ordered from the apple UK website. Anyway i'll let you know what he thinks of it once he's got it and had a mess with it. I just hope my old flat screen monitor works with the Mini Mac now. It should do though.