Ramm's Easy Kernel Updater

Guest Ramm

32 posts in this topic

Guest Ramm

Icon.png

Ramm's EKU - The easiest way to update to the 8.9.1 SSE2+3 kernel.

[This was brought to my attention: this is the INTEL kernel ONLY]

What it does

REKU is a simple (yes, Automator based) app that grabs the latest kernel from my web server and automatically installs it, creating a backup of your previous kernel. Not only does it update the kernel, but it updates the System.kext file too, so DMGs will mount.

Simply download and run it; read the manual first. Follow the instructions and restart. It automatically removes the kextcaches, and repairs permissions. The longest part is downloading the 4 mb kernel from my server. Also downloaded is the new system.kext.

Un-installation instructions are in the MANUAL file located with the download. This was tested by me, and I have a succesfully updated kernel. This was also tested by Sabr.

UPDATEDx3Download: Suspended.

Please report any bugs or suggestions into here.

Known bugs:

-Sometimes, on the first run, it quits with an error message that flashes really quickly then goes away. If this happens, do something that requires authentication, then try it.

-All of the sidebar items will be removed, and it appears as though the desktop has no icons. This is not my application, this is something with the kernel. Restart and then put all the sidebar items back. FIXED

Guest Ramm

Please report any troubles or suggestions you have!

Remember, if it doesn't work, it could easily just be the fact that your installation doesn't take the new kernel.

A bug has just been found. I will be updating it in a minute.

I can confirm that this works for me,

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.6 (8I1119)

Kernel Version: Darwin 8.9.1

Boot Volume: Hackintosh

Thanks alot Ramm! This makes it very easy!

I am on:

P4 2.26GHz Northwood, SSE2 only

EDIT: originally I installed JaS 10.4.6 DVD, this is the first update I have done.

Nice app. Grats and thx.

BUT which kernel is it downloading? I mean...there are many differnet kernels from different coders out. So, which ones are you grabbing to serve on you webserver? The newes ones from netkas I hope?

Guest Ramm
after clicking app, there was a dialog asking for confirmation. after yes, nothing changed.

Sorry about that. Between 10 and 3 o'clock today, the kernel link was broken. Download the new version ( http://ramm.sabrsoft.com/rammseku/RammsEasyKernelUpdater.dmg ) and run it again.

@AmigoHD,

I honestly don't know anything except it is the 8.9.1 kernel for SSE2 + SSE3.

Guest Ramm

If you read my first post, this is currently the Intel kernel only.

I may be making other versions soon.

If you read my first post, this is currently the Intel kernel only.

I may be making other versions soon.

Oh sorry - didn't sleep last 3 days ;)

Will be waiting for AMD release! Keep it up! Thanx!

Guest Ramm

Like it was mentioned in the bugs section, sometimes it screws with permissions.

Do something that requires authentication, then try it.

Hi,

Where can I find a link or more informations about the 8.9.1 kernel you are using? I am interested in how it was compiled, hacked, ...

I am new to hackintosh but if I understand correctly, the kernel used in OS X86 is Darwin kernel, right?

Thanks

it don't work at all: i tried to copy an empty folder in system/library, so asking an authentication, but it doesn't solve the fact the installer don't work!!!

as soon as i finish downloading the file and when it mounts, it put 3 files in the trash, why?

please give support to this installer, i would like to use this very simple method to update the kernel if only worked!

Bye.

Guest Ramm

I am getting rid of it for now, until I figure out exactly why it refuses to work even with the user authenticated.

fabioxx, it puts those files in the trash because those are the 3 files it downloaded to the desktop, it copies/moves them, then the deletes the orginals on the desktop.