Acer 3860 Laptop Gray Screen Lock on 10.4.8

magic0200

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have successfully installed OSX on my PC and just came across an Acer 3680 that I put 2 gigs of ram in and erased the drive to no format. The problem is that the install locks up on the Gray screen (following the apple logo screen) and I can't figure out what's causing it. I have never come across this issue and wonder if anyone can help me out on this one.

The information on the WIKI does not state anything about issues with 10.4.8 or installation. However it states that they used 10.4.6 Goat patched to 10.4.8. I am currently using the JAS 10.4.8 release (DVD confirmed working).

I feel that it might have to do with installing through VMWARE (possibly not recognizing the hard drive). If this is the case, is there a guide that I missed on how to go about installing through this form? I usually just used the JAS dvds.

Below is a copy of the WIKI information and hopefully one of you might know why I'm having this issue. TIA to anyone who might be able to help me out on this one.

OS: JaS 10.4.8 SSE3 with (Jas Patch 10.4.8 from 10.4.6 Goat)

Intel Celeron M 1.46ghz (shows unknown processor), 512mb DDR2, 60GB ATA

Intel GMA 950 shared mem @ 1280x800x32@60. QE/CI Working with GMA patch

Lan Atheros wireless fully working as Airport after changing to en1 from en0

Sound ALC 883 working with kext edit 2ch output only. Full software control of volume

All USB + trackpad working

PowerBundle.kext to enable battery meter + management

Dual Boot OSX+XP using Darwin loader

Not working: 5in1 card reader (use XP to access)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OS version: JaS 10.4.8 ppf patched - select Intel SSE3, 10.4.4 login window app, GMA 950 drivers, powermgmt bundle

CPU: Celeron M 430 / 1.73 GHz (detected by CPU-Z as Yonah core)

was advertised by Microcenter & on the box as a Celeron M 420, 1.6 GHz - got an extra 133 MHz for free!

detected as Core Solo in JaS 10.4.6 & Core Duo in JaS 10.4.8

MoBo chipset: Intel 945GM Express - all the basics like USB, SATA, keyboard, trackpad, etc. work fine

Video: GMA 950 - works like a charm (1280x800 on a 14.1" screen), minor color correction under pref panes

Sound: Realtek ALC883 - works after installing Azalia driver for 2-ch speaker out only

Taruga's HDA driver adds more ports but doesn't play out the built-in speakers

Lan: Marvell Yukon 88E8038 - not working, though others have gotten it working on different laptops (???)

WiFi: Atheros AR5005G - working after some hacking in the terminal {see/search forums}

PCMCIA: Texas Instruments chipset PCIxx12 - working after installing hacked driver + glitchman 10.4.8 kexts {see/search forums}

5-in-1 card reader: does not work, Windows device manager shows it as part of the PCMCIA chipset/interface

PowerManagement: works fine

Deep Sleep: like most hackintoshes, does not work (though someone claimed it working in 10.4.7 updated version)

Dual Boot: kinda tricky - work in progress (lots of guides available on this one)

Overall Impression: Can't beat the deal! Paid $450 and could get $50 back if I get around to mailing in the rebate. Everything either works fine out the box or can be gotten to work, except for built-in ethernet--but that can be gotten around by using a USB-to-ethernet adapter or probably PCMCIA card. Deep sleep is being worked on by others more technical than I. The laptop came with Vista basic, but ran like molasses. After installing Tiger x86, it pounces like a monster feline. Battery life seems to be about 3 hrs, depending on Energy Saver settings.

I ran -v and found only one set of errors that pertained to AIRPORT DRIVERS.......

This then took me back to the blue/gray screen and stayed there as usual until I turned it off.

To clarify, I see the initial apple logo screen and it will allow me to see the blue/grey screen that is suppose to bring up the apple menu to install osx. However, this is where it locks up. I have all drivers and kexts already made but I don't know why this thing is giving me so much trouble.

Could it be that it will not recognize my HDD?

I'm using JAS 10.4.8 first release without the ppf patch 1 or 2

• 5 months later...

hi i'm having the same problem.. installed mac on pc, everything smooth .. but on start up it locks on gray screen...

found out that the error is related to Airport drivers not found like you, and an error saying something like "optimization changed from time to space"...

do you have an answer for me how to solve this matter ?

thanks for reading

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I was having the same problem(locked up at gray screen with apple logo). Actually it is due to both network card (Marvel Yukon and Atheros not working). Tried hitting keyboard but with no luck. But, I can pass grey screen when I pushed tiny laptop lid close switch for a few seconds. I managed to go successfuly going into system but mouse was jumpy. Later, I tried installing Wireless USB D-Link DWL-G122 with ralink driver and managed to solve mouse jumpy issue. Now, need to solve network issue (Marvell Yukon 88E8038). Anyone got it working here?

My Spec :

Intel Core2Duo 1.66GHz , 1.5GB DDR2, 80GB SATA

Intel GMA 950 shared mem @ 1280x800x32@60. QE/CI Working with GMA patch

Lan Atheros wireless not working

Sound ALC 883 not working(not patched yet)

All USB + trackpad working

PowerBundle.kext to enable battery meter + management

Dual Boot OSX+XP using Darwin loader

Not working: 5in1 card reader (use XP to access)