Can I create a big zip file through macdrive and restore it back later on?

Envying

13 posts in this topic

My Experience with Ghost:

Few days ago, I downloaded a Hiren's Boot CD with a Ghost 8.3 on it, I was trying to ghost my 45GB OSX Partition (about 10GB used), it came out with an image with 30GB with high compression.

My Experience with Acronis True Image 10.0:

Yesterday I downloaded the famous Acronis True Image 10.0, and tried it with my OSX Partition. it came out with an image 25GB.

I am so dissappointed with these clone tools...

All I want to do is to have an cloned partition image, in case my OSX show up kernel panic, or forbidden sign, I can go with a boot CD and restore my cloned image back... Is that simple enough?

Can I just create a big zip file of my OSX partition through macdrive? and restore it back if anything bad happen later on?

I´m not sure, but I think you could restores this from diskutil running from installation disk?.

HexDump.

Geeee, it will take me 5-10min to startup with the installation DVD. I won't do that.

envying, luky you, I have to put my sata drives into compatible mode to run instalation disk, and it takes around 50 mins to install, so, for me a .dmg would be really nice.

Or have you discovered something different :)

HexDump.

envying, luky you, I have to put my sata drives into compatible mode to run instalation disk, and it takes around 50 mins to install, so, for me a .dmg would be really nice.

Or have you discovered something different :)

HexDump.

Hex, I have it installed on my IDE drive. SATA drive is saved for XP for now. I am looking for a way to create a recovery image like I mentioned earlier in the post, If I am lucky enough, I will move most my windows stuff under XP parallels, and format my all my ntfs drives to HFS+... :hysterical::hysterical::):D

To me, OSX is still not very stable at the moment... :pirate2:

The reason that your drive image is this big is that the drive is formatted as HFS journaled. I used Ghost 10 once under Windows XP and also got a image file almost the size of the drive while I was only using 7 Gb of it.

I believe you can temporarily turn of the journaling with this command in the terminal:

# diskutil disableJournal /Volumes/TheVolumeName

Make your clone afterwards and then turn journaling on again.

Succes, AntarcticP

The reason that your drive image is this big is that the drive is formatted as HFS journaled. I used Ghost 10 once under Windows XP and also got a image file almost the size of the drive while I was only using 7 Gb of it.

I believe you can temporarily turn of the journaling with this command in the terminal:

# diskutil disableJournal /Volumes/TheVolumeName

Make your clone afterwards and then turn journaling on again.

Succes, AntarcticP

Hey Pal, I am so glad to see somebody with same experience like you finally tell me why I got fxxx up by Ghost or other clone tool. I will definitely give ghost another test as you recommended.

Cheers! :)

Hi Envying, I'm not using Ghost for the moment but Acronis Truimage, but it makes no difference.

Just tried making a backup of my Mac partition (30 Gb) and the image would be almost 30 Gb with journaling on.

Started up my Hackintosh and turned journaling off. In my previous post I mentioned the terminal command. I just saw that it is much easier: you can turn journaling off in the Disk Utility (green icon on top).

After turning journaling off, my image would be around 10 Gb. So it is still bigger than the used space on my disk, but I think it's much more acceptable!

grtz, AntarcticP