Triple Boot OS X, XP, Ubuntu

kevbo111

3 posts in this topic

I've got a unique problem I can't seem to find the answer to. I have two hard drives, the master is running OS X, and the slave has two partitions, XP and Ubuntu. The system boots into OS X as a default, and I can get it to boot from the slave drive via the BIOS boot selector. I can't boot into the Ubuntu partition at all. I've tried using the GAG boot loader, that didn't work. Also, GRUB didn't install when I installed Ubuntu due to some error. I have data on the OS X and XP partitions that I would like to keep there, but I can reinstall and work with the Ubuntu partition if needed.

Is there any way to install a boot loader so that I can select from the three OS's? I could also live with having a boot loader of somesort to choose between XP and Ubuntu after I choose to boot from the slave drive from BIOS.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I did a triple boot from one drive, the only way I got it to work was to divide the drive into 3 partitions first. then install XP MCE 05 first, then OS/X 10.4.6. After installing MAC I used Partition magic to make the MAC partition active then I installed Fedora 6 using Grub boot loader and I had to use the add and edit functions to add MAC to the boot menu and rename the windows and mac partitions. I have been running this setup for close to a year with no problems. I'm considering reloading to do a full install of 10.4.9 and Fedora 7 or CentOS 5.

I'm no Mac or linux guru, and I have no programing experience so my best bet was to find hardware that worked well with linux and Mac. I have a small computer shop where I sell a lot of refurbed Dells and the combo I have come up with is a Dell 8400, 3.0 GHz HT(and yes no problems with HT),2 gig DDR2 667 MHz, 160 gig sata, Sony dvd-r with patch burn 4, 7300gt video card, Dell sound sets up just fine but plays through black port instead of green (I have a second set of speakers on my flat panel) I have to setup the broadcom 5700 NIC and that is it. the machine is 95% windows, linux and Mac plug and play, Best of all it is one system that takes the place of three and for a very cheap price.

The system is 100% functional in all OSs, I burn CDs and DVD in mac, everything. It's like the machine came from dell that way. I love it. I use Fedora and XP at college. and will be using Mac this coming semester so I am set. The machine is fast and stable in all OSs. I almost hate to screw with it to do a upgrade.

As far as your problem I would reinstall Mac and Linux on the second drive. If you are not already using it DL a copy of Kubuntu 7.04 (distrowatch.com), it uses KDE desktop (much better) and has the latest version of Grub boot loader. First install Mac then set the Mac partition active with a hard drive tool, (do a search for Hiren's boot disk 9.1) Then install Kubuntu 7.04 and install Grub in the MBR, by using the bios for a alternate boot you should find the drive every time. I would not be suprised if you couldn't install Kubuntu in the second drive and install Grub in the MBR of the first drive and add and edit the boot menu during the setup of Kubuntu, this way you have all three OSs on one boot loader. I've never done this but a guy at college has so I know it can be done. Good Luck

Sorry I got so long there, but I hope this helps someone.