a 'Newegg' for Macs?

8 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if there's an online store similar to newegg that sells all the PC components for Mac stuff... ie Mac mice, keyboards, other peripherals, etc. but also RAM, HDDs, etc. It is my understanding that you can now add hardware into a Mac similar to a PC so long as it is officially supported by Apple?

If so, is there an online store that sells this hardware/peripherals/etc. like newegg?

I'm wondering if there's an online store similar to newegg that sells all the PC components for Mac stuff... ie Mac mice, keyboards, other peripherals, etc. but also RAM, HDDs, etc. It is my understanding that you can now add hardware into a Mac similar to a PC so long as it is officially supported by Apple?

If so, is there an online store that sells this hardware/peripherals/etc. like newegg?

Yup, it's called Newegg.com

Mice and keyboards that are USB are compatible with Macs. If you want mac buttons, the links posted will get you to a store that sells keyboards with proper option, control and command keys.

For HDDs they don't have to be 'officially' supported by Apple, never heard that, maybe back in the day when things were different, but now just get a SATA drive.

RAM you need to be careful with, just to get ram that is timed right if you buy from newegg. Otherwise the mac shops people posted will sell ram that will work for sure.

For the most part, the hardware is interchangeable. I've had RAM I moved back and forth between PCs and my G4s and G5s, as well as hard drives.

Newegg sucks for mac stuff IMO, I cant even figure out if this RAM is for my mac or now, all it saids is "APPLE DESKTOP"

There's always the wonderful world of Google to help you figure out what type of RAM your Macs takes. Heck, even About This Mac tells you. :P

Btw, the current Intel Macs (excluding the Mac Pro) take laptop 667MHz DDR SDRAM.