Installer doesn't see HDD

Hiyoto

13 posts in this topic

In VMWare, if I set the HDD as a virtual disk, the installer reccognizes it. However, if I designate a physical HDD, it won't see it. Mind you, my HDD is an IDE external via USB. Does my HDD need to be on the motherboard for this to work?

Thanks for your time.

If it isnt visible like external usb,

szh

Posted Today, 03:28 PM

I think he was talking about an external USB HDD, I'm not too sure jumpers apply here...

(i noticed that) sould be chek other ways to do that...

Well I have an HDD in an enclosure, so jumpers would be valid. Although, I have it currently set to cable select. I'll try swapping that. Also, I've tried formatting the HDD to both a Windows and Mac (using MacDrive 6) partition, and neither have worked (obviously). I've been using Western Digital's Data Lifeguard disc to format the HDD for Windows, and it has an option to be formatted for either a boot partition or extra storage. I've always done extra storage; should I try the boot option?

I'll also try plugging the HDD directly to the motherboard and see if that helps any... Are there any extra options to force HDD detection in VMware Workstation 6?

*addon*

I might also note that VMware reads it as a SCSI disk and not IDE; I heard IDE was prefered.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

MB: ASUS A8N-e

RAM: 1280MB

HDD in question: WDC WD16 00JB-00FUAO USB Device

The enclosure was made by Dynex, is all I know without digging for the box.

The ISO I have is labelled: Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD.Intel-(JaS)

If you need anything else, let me know.

Lord Almighty! YES!! It FINALLY sees the HDD. Now to see if the install will go 100% without a hitch. *laughs*

I don't mind too much keeping the HDD internal, but any ideas on how to have it read externally as an IDE device? (as I said, it previously saw it as SCSI)

This is getting annoying.

I tried Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2].iso with basically the same result. Time to try the HDD on the motherboard....

Just use Uphuck 10.4.9 UB x86 DVD 1.2

1.3 will be soon.

http://61.74.156.133/bbs/view.php?id=ritz&...5&category=