Remote control for Front Row on Hackintosh

11 posts in this topic

Im from Argentina, im looking for a remote control (like Griffin AirClick USB, but i cant buy it here!).

Someone knows another option to control Front Row on my Hackintosh ????

I dont like to use Bluetooth phone.

Thanks !!!

Im looking any option that i can get here in Argentina that works with OS X buy i cant find anything!

i know some guys were working a hack for the ipod remote, 'course you still have to buy the apple remote AND have an i/r ipod charger laying around!!!

you might google it or dig around at andrewescobar.com

I'm using a standard eHome-compatible Windows Media Center IR receiver with the software Mira and an Apple Remote. Works great and is rather cheap, I got the Apple Remote for about 17 and the Media Center Remote for 4 Euro on ebay. Nice is that the Apple Remote isn't limited to FrontRow when you've installed Mira, I'm using it also for Media Central and various other programs. Default is system volume/mute and controlling the VLC player. You can even use two functions for each key.

Other thing: How can I deinstall/reinstall Front Row? I tried the available hacks (FrontRowpass.kext, IRkeyboardEmu.kext) to get it running without IR receiver. It worked, but now FrontRow won't start again, even if I remove these kexts. It isn't listed in the System Preferences/Keyboard Shortcuts, too. Just installing doesn't work. Anyone an idea?

GreetinX from the other Side!

• 1 month later...

I recently built a HTPC (HTMac?) using OSX86. The remote control I'm using is a Nintendo Wii remote control + DLink bluetooth dongle + Remote Buddy software (www.iospirit.com). It works very well. Remote Buddy even emulates the presence of a standard Apple IR remote control resulting in Front Row running without any hacks.

Like you I initially looked for IR receivers(Microsoft Remote Control, ATI Remote Wonder, Philips OVU4003 receiver (ehome 2005), etc...) but in my country, Malaysia, I failed to find any locally that was compatible with OSX86. I didn't want to order from overseas as shipping will be very expensive. I even purchased a Pinnacle TV tuner kit for Windows MCE with remote control thinking that if it worked with MCE, it would work with OSX86 but it did not as the IR receiver was a newer version (ie not eHome 2005).

I'm very satisfied with the final result. Almost everything runs perfectly(except sleep/wake & still no IR for Apple Remote Control). I can fully control the hackintosh from my couch. When I have time I will post the specs for Hackintosh HTPC.

If you must get the Apple IR Remote Control working, then look at this. www.twistedmelon.com. Makers of Mira software & Manta TR-1 IR receiver which works with the Mac and is compatible with the Apple Remote. Also USD3.00 worldwide shipping.

Wiimote is the best for now. As nesukun said, you can use the Wiimote as a mouse by waving/moving the Wiimote. However you'll need an infrared source such as a candle or IR LEDs like the Wii sensor bar. The Wiimote actually senses the IR source as a point of reference and when you move the Wiimote, Remote Buddy translates that to mouse cursor movement. It's pretty fun. Check www.iospirit.com for more info & videos. This Remote Buddy software is definitely worth the 20 euros it costs. Saved my skin when I couldn't find an IR receiver for the hackintosh.

A new option is the Sony PS3 BD Remote which is a more traditional looking remote. Also works via Bluetooth and supported by the recently released Remote Buddy 1.05. I just bought one to try out tonight. Not as cool looking as the Wiimote but has about a ton or so more buttons.

• 3 months later...