Howto install XP [internal] + OSX [external] + Acronis?

neyman

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

I installed OSX on an external drive (Drive3), but it won't show up in Acronis OS Selector.

How can I select it in Acronis?

This is my configuration:

Disk1: Win XP [Primary, active]

Disk2: Programs [Primary]

Disk3: External/OSX

- P1: Stuff [Primary]

- P2: Stuff

- P3: OSX [Primary, active] [shagOS swap]

If I select Disk3 (external) to boot first, I just get a "Missing operating system" message.

I already searched the forums for about an hour but couldn't solve the problem

Thanks in advance

Am I correct in assuming that without acronis os selector, you can boot osx on your external drive without problems?

Let's be sure first that this is really an acronis-related problem, and not bios-related.

cbmkgd, thanks for your reply

No, I can't boot OSX at all. The setup works fine, whether my external or my internal disk boots. But after the installation I just get a "Missing operating system" error.

My external hdd (500gigs) has three partitions:

1. & 2.: Stuff

3.: OSX (last 20 gb) formatted with acronis and OSX-setup.

If it is an bios-related problem, which settings should I enable/disable?

My external hdd is the first device to boot.

Well, firstly you know now the problem is not related to acronis os selector (aoss).

In your bios, try to look for usb-related settings; read your mb's manual to know the details.

Btw, where is your aoss installed? on the external, or internal?

Maybe try the chain0 method, and boot on internal hd first; maybe this will give the system enough time to recognize the external as a bootable device. Don't know (bios should take care of this, and your 945GZ7MC-KS2H mobo seems good enough for this).

Can you remove the external hd from its enclosure and put it as internal, and test if osx boots? (or maybe it's still under warranty and can't get it out without voiding it)

When using the chain0 method I get a "chain booting error".

The OSX partition is formated in AF and is primary. Will OSX boot if it's installed after an extended partition at all or just in some cases?

It's after an extended!? Well, problems were often reported in those cases...

Usually it is strongly recommended to install in a primary partition before any extended partition (if any).

(it's possible to install in a logical partition, under certain conditions, but i'd suggest you go to primary; i've managed once to install in a primary after an extended, but only through a technical manipulation, a success which didn't last long, and i didn't push studies further... so go primary before extended :) )

That's right. In order to avoid the problem with the primary partition after the extended one I converted the logical extended partition to a primary non-extended one. But I still have no success =(

Is this normal?

Maybe I have to rearrange the partitions to get OSX working.

Hi, just as you, I spent hours on getting my hackintosh booting from my external USB drive. Installations worked perfectly, but no booting. I used the same DVD as you are using.

Problem is that the Darwin bootloader does not get installed correctly on an external drive.

How can you solve your problem:

1) Take you external disk apart and install it internally as master. Install MacOsX and the bootloader will be installed correctly. That's what I did.

2) when you have access to another working Hackintosh, you can install the Darwin bootloader manually.

Howto by the maker of Clonetool (!!! very good program): http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...32777&st=20 (Post #32)

Just install Clonetool first: http://nicemac.com/

success, AntarcticP

How can you solve your problem:

1) Take you external disk apart and install it internally as master. Install MacOsX and the bootloader will be installed correctly. That's what I did.

Hi AntarcticP,

thanks for the great hint! So if the Darwin bootloader is the issue I'll try the following steps:

1. Install Mac OSX on my internal disk (20gb primary)
  2. Create a blank partition on my external (20gb primary)
  3. Duplicate the OSX installation to the free space on my external disk
  4. Then I'll hopefully be able to boot OSX from my external =)

I'll report my results as soon as I finished the steps above.

Hi neyman, the steps you mentioned would do the job. Be sure to install MacOsX on your master HD, so that the bootloader cannot interrupt with a Windows bootloader (if installed of course).

If you can boot the freshly installed MacOs, install Clonetool (all 3 dmg files: OSx86_pframe, Clonetool_H1, Hatchery_H1_109b). Look at the site http://nicemac.com/ for info. Clone you HD to the external one.

Voila, now it should boot (at least on my computer this works).

grtz, AntarcticP