Where to find out why I get a kernel crash?

aliquis

4 posts in this topic

I always reboot my machine when I wake up because it have crashed, and it "always" works until I go to bed but when I wake up it have crashed again.

But the OS X crash report screen suck and only tell me that I have to restart the machine, not anything about WHY.

And I doesn't seem to find something in a log either, but maybe I look in the wrong place?

Is it possible to see why a hack crashes? It didn't do in the begining so I guess it's because of some software but I have no idea of what, but it NEVER survives 24hour so it's pretty regulary.

Hmm, well have you tried different kernels? My rig works perfect with some kernels and crashes with others. Netkas latest Universal and the latest SSE3 kernels works great for most people.
I run stock jas 10.4.8 sse2/sse3 amd/intel on socket 754 amd64 sse2, worked fine in the begining but then I had unlocked and overclocked my nv6800le and installed x-code and weird things started to happen. The graphic card crapped out and I tried to put my old files back from the installation dvd but no success, so I switched graphics card to an old one and just got these daily crashes.

Then after a while I decided to try to RMA the card but plugged it in again to see that it was broken for real but then it worked...

Anyway I never get any graphical errors longer, only this bla bla need to restart your computer.

I have no idea why, if it's because of xcode, some other software or what it might be, I hate that it doesn't say {censored} about WHY it crashes. Blue screens are way better ;/

Anyway, only the default kernel, but then it worked for the first days/weeks...

No way to find out why it crashes from logs or something?

Also off topic and so on but I hope it's not OS X fault, or how I should put it, because I still want to get a real mac, althought the spinning wheel on my hack and the {censored} implementation of safari sort of pushes me away.

I hate the lag, but it might be a little less noticable on a dual core.