Addt'l cooling?

6 posts in this topic

Well i just got my imac 24" in a few weeks ago. Runs nice & smooth. My only real complaint is that after running about an hr or 2 of WoW my temps are kinda high in my opinion. But i could be wrong. I do have the fan control installed also. So i'm curious, besides the stock cooling system. Is there really any other way to keep the beast cool? Can i upgrade the fans through apple? Or do it myself?

Your mac should be fine, it would automatically shut off if the temperature was getting high enough to do any damage (I think it's about 125 C). It might be getting somewhere around 80 if you're doing something particularly intensive, other than that it will probably stay around 50 C. Check the temperature, it might just feel warm but could actually be fine.

You could always pour some ice water on it if you think it's looking sweaty. :)

could someone better explain to me this fan control. I have the lower and upper thresholds. The lower threshold has values between 104*f and 140*f. While the upper threshold goes from 158*f to 194*f. what does this mean? what does it really do?

Apple has a tendency to manufacture equipment that takes good care of itself and lasts for a long time (such as the PowerMac G4 and G5).

The cooling system should be managed by OS X, shutting down in cases of excessive temperature, possibly adjusting processor utilization, and preventing system damage.

I do not know of any aftermarket cooling, especially that which is compatible with the form factor of the iMac.

In any case, try disabling any third-party applications that may prevent OS X from directly managing the cooling system, and consider the results.

Note that my dual 2.7GHz G5 and 8-core Mac Pro will use almost 100% of all processors for an hour or two at a time with no ill effects, while rendering video.

I remember reading a post somewhere on some message board/forum about a DIY fan screwed into the back of the case (I'm guessing around where the CPU is). It looked rather neat and I think the poster reported greatly increased cooling power. You should Google it and see if you come up with anything. If I remember where I saw it, I'll definitely post a link here.