Amiga might be back !

u1m2

8 posts in this topic

http://www.amiga.com/news/index.php?art=28

Issaquah, Wash and Fonthill, ON Canada – May 7, 2007 – ACK Software Controls, Inc. and Amiga, Inc. are pleased to announce the specifications for the new Power System.

“While targeting the needs of today, we wanted to challenge ourselves to design for the future as well.”, said Adam Kowalczyk President of ACK Software Controls, Inc.

This new system will be offered at a suggested retail price of $1498.00 and be a complete offering excluding monitor in a finished design that will provide customers with everything they need to get started.

Power Design Specifications PowerPC board:

Based on the P.A. Semi PWRficient PA6T-1682M dual core 64 bit CPUs clocked at 2GHz.

RoHS compliant ATX form factor.

Four (4) DDR2 DIMM slots.

One (1) PCI Express x16 slot for high performance graphics cards.

One (1) PCI Express x2 slot for high performance I/O cards.

One (1) PCI Express x1 slot for standard I/O cards.

One (1) PCI 32 bit slot for legacy cards.

Six (6) USB 2.0 ports.

Two (2) Gb Ethernet ports.

Two (2) UART ports for serial connectivity and debug.

One 8Mb Flash EEPROM containing U-Boot firmware.

Four (4) SATA II ports based on the Silicon Image SiI3132 (x2) .

“This new design offers the Amiga user a new choice in hardware. Amiga believes that this new system will address the needs of the Amiga user today and into the near future.”, said Bill McEwen of Amiga, Inc.

About Amiga

Amiga, Inc. is the world’s premier provider of multimedia enabling technologies. For almost two decades its award-winning software has been a mainstay for motion picture studios, multimedia creators, and digital entertainment enthusiasts around the world. Today Amiga builds on this legacy leading the way in multimedia development by providing developers with hardware-independent technologies for writing and porting applications to new platforms and interactive devices. For more information visit www.amiga.com.

About ACK

ACK Software Controls, Inc. specializes in the area of embedded controls design for use in automation systems where low-power consumption and reliability is an absolute must. Concentrating on design for manufacturing with local manufacturing facilities has allowed ACK to quickly and cost-effectively develop solutions for customers with low-volume requirements. By integrating hardware, firmware, and device driver engineering capability in-house, ACK can provide complete turn-key solutions to customers.

Certainly not the high-tech PC of modern age but still exciting news for Amiga fans like myself. I hope Amiga/ACK can dig this once amazing brand from the big pile of dirt it has been buried into. If it comes with a stable OS and is sold where I live, I might buy it (unless they want to charge me a small fortune over my childhood memories).

http://www.amiga.com/news/index.php?art=28

Certainly not the high-tech PC of modern age but still exciting news for Amiga fans like myself. I hope Amiga/ACK can dig this once amazing brand from the big pile of dirt it has been buried into. If it comes with a stable OS and is sold where I live, I might buy it (unless they want to charge me a small fortune over my childhood memories).

I wonder if it will run OSX.

Well my definition of back is perhaps different than yours, I won't consider them back unless they come up with a product to compete with a modern day pc in terms of hardware and software. At least this press release product is more up to date in terms of hardware, pci-express interface, gigabit network, sata2 ports, 64-bit dual core processor... enough to get me excited. Now let's see what they can come up with on the software end, I think they would have to do a bit better than OS4 considering how the competition (os x, linux, windows) stands. ( considering Hardware support, Security, Reliability, Ease of use, the GUI )

My guess is just as good as yours, Amiga hasn't been very clear on their roadmap with the public afaik. I can only hope for the best -mostly for sentimental reasons- that Amiga succeeds in coming up with a decent platform.

x86 is a good platform for amiga i think

just look at apple

maybe amiga can use AMD as its platform..hoho..imagination with no boundaries..

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE...