Video DVD playback problem

YureZzZ

5 posts in this topic

When I insert video dvd mac opens a dvd player. it crashes with message "A valid video device could not be found for playback. [-70017] ". I tried to open dvd with vlc player - after 2 seconds it crashes. DVD is not protected. Any ideas?

Hi Polle and YureZ:

I had the same problem playing DVD's on one of my OSx86 Machines (Dell Optiplex GX-260). I'm using the built-in Intel 82865 Chipset which does not support Core Image (CI) and Quartz Extreme (QE) natively. I get exactly the same error. My other machines (Dell Inspiron 1300 and MSI mPC 915) that have GMA 900 chipset (CI/QE enabled) don't have this error.

Polle: I tried XinePlayer 0.3 and it did indeed work albeit a bit slowly. XinePlayer is running thru Rosetta emulation. Native Apple DVD Player and Front Row is faster (of course).

I seem to be having a playback issue too, though of a different nature. DVD Player and Front Row open and can play Audio just fine, but it's pitch black for video. VLC can play just fine, but it'd be nice to see Front Row working properly. My only guess is that the DVD Playback framework is broken somehow. QE/CI working. Intel 910/915 series card. Acer Aspire 3613LCi laptop. Anybody know where I can manually download the newest framework, and/or 10.4.8's stock framework? It won't let me downgrade unforunatley though I suppose I could chance Pacificst with an older framework version couldn't I?