The what's broken game

alfdog

7 posts in this topic

Ok,

Building computers is not new to me by any means, but I'm a little stuck and maybe someone here can help point me in the right direction.

I was getting my computer ready to put OSx86 on, basically double checking my bios settings and taking out an X-FI sound card.

I have an Asus p5w dh deluxe, e6400, 2gb mushkin ram, 150gb raptor, and other drivers, a pretty typical setup around here.

Anyways, after I took out my sound card and rebooted, I had power to everything but no monitor, and my biggest concern was no keyboard at all. Not even a little blip on the caps/num lock light, so holding delete or insert was doing nothing to get into the bios. I tried resetting the bios 3 times, I disconected everything, ect. I've also tried different keyboards.

My first guess is that the motherboard went bad, for whatever reason. I had no problem RMAing the board, and now I just received the new replacement board and I have the same exact problem.

So... what could it possibly be?

Bad CPU? at the time I think I only had it at like 2700ghz which is nothing, and I have a Scythe Infinity heat sink which is plenty big, and kept it cool easily.

Bad Power Supply? I'm using an Antec Trupower 550 watt, it's not an el cheapo unit, but I think there could be a possibility that it was slightly underpowered for 3 hard drives, and 3 dvd burners. BUT, I've tried starting with only the bare things needed.

Another bad motherboard? I hope my luck isn't that bad, but other people have worse everyday.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks

alf

I think it may be the CPU. I had the same symptoms for my AMD Athlon XP. Try removing everything from Motherboard except PSU and Boot it. It should beep, saying no CPU installed. Now just add the CPU, if it beeps the no RAM error, then your CPU is OK.

Keep adding components one by one and see what works.

Also KB/Mouse are not necessary for comp to boot. It is possible to get display without them. Also if you have onboard display, try using that.

Also When ur comp doesnot boot, does it by any chance Beep out an error code?????

NOTE: You need to attach a PC Speaker to get your MB to start beeping. Some MB have one integrated, some dont. It all varies.

I'm not getting any beeps, but what you're saying makes sense, I'll try booting without cpu or ram tonight. I don't have onboard video, so I'll even try booting without the video card and see if I get any beeps. I also have an alternative video card I can try, and I think I'll also doublecheck even my pc speaker just in case.

Thanks

alf

If you can verify that your Video Card works in another machine. It sure gets annoying to troubleshoot machines eh??

Thanks for all the help guys, come to find out the problem was one of the 2 dimms was bad. I'm quite surpised as Mushkin memory is usually pretty high quality. And to think, I was just about to RMA my cpu :hysterical: and I guess RMAing my motherboard was a waste of time. Either way, being able to fix/return things is way better than having to spend money on new parts.

Now... off to get OSx86 working on this thing ;)

Thanks again

alf