Using linux drivers in OSX86

Nero6

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, quick question. I have a Shuttle ST20G5, and I recently downloaded the latest Ubuntu to see if it would recognize my SATA controller. To my surprise it did, which means I can finally dual boot windows and linux on this machine :)

However, the JaS 10.4.8 AMD Intel version of OSX86 does not see my SATA controller, and as such I cant install it to my hard drive. I tried installing it with an IDE drive, it installed (really slowly), and when it finished the mouse and keyboard locked up (or it could more likely be the usb controllers somehow got disabled, which is weird because they worked when I installed it).

Nevertheless, I'm trying really hard to get OSX86 to recognize my SATA drive as it would save me an incredible amount of headaches. It's a ULi chipset. And like I said to my surprise Ubuntu recognized it with no problem, and since (correct me if I'm wrong) linux and OSX are very similar, I was wondering if there was a way to get the linux driver onto an OSX86 disc. Any ideas?

Thanks guys :(

OS X and Linux are similar (OS X is actually based on BSD Unix, not Linux though), but not similar enough for that to work (even Linux programs don't always work without modification).

The problem comes down to a few things but the main core of the problem is that like windows linux uses a monlithic kernel (excuse spelling). This means that all drivers are apart of the kernel or when installed becore part of the kernel/core of the system (correct me if i am wrong).

OSX on the other hand uses a micro kernel. This means that everything in regards to device drivers are extensions of the kernel

if you go to /System/Library/Extensions

here you will see all the extensions that OSX can load up in order to support device.

So you couldn't directly use a linux driver. But I am pretty sure you could likely rever engineer a linux driver and use what u learn in the linux driver to implement support for your device.

goto google and lookup kext editing

that will point towards where u need to go.

Personally I think someone should be making a driver repository site that they can use to get devices work with OSX. Basically a one stop shot for click to use driver support. More money apple loses cause people want use their OS, the more likely Apple will look to releasing it to any PC so they can capitalize on it.

OS X and Linux are similar (OS X is actually based on BSD Unix, not Linux though), but not similar enough for that to work (even Linux programs don't always work without modification).

• 3 weeks later...

For your information Steve Jobs Announced in April 2007 that the next version of OS X codename "Margay" will implement a linux kernel. This will be helpfull for the users of hackintosh.

I'm working in a usb kext copying the linux usb kernel.

For your information Steve Jobs Announced in April 2007 that the next version of OS X codename "Margay" will implement a linux kernel. This will be helpfull for the users of hackintosh.

I'm working in a usb kext copying the linux usb kernel.

don't want to ruin your hope but Steve's *announced* this on the 1st of April 2007....