Marathon & Halo?

Ed

4 posts in this topic

Went to the Bungie web site earlier today and had a bit of a blast from the past - how happy was I to see that they still have references to the Marathon series on their current site! http://www.bungie.net/Projects/Marathon/default.aspx

I don't own an Xbox, matter fact I don't even play any games at all any more =( but i was just wondering if anyone who does play Halo 2 and is/was an avid Marathon fan knows if Bungie are still kinda connecting the 2 games? I seem to remember reading somewhere that Halo was the prequel to the Marathon series?

Anyway, just wonderin, I should get bk to work now =)

-Ed

There are many Marathon-related eastereggs/references/plot-elements in both Halo games (and the 4 novels), and judging from what's been seen of Halo 3, it seems that trend is going to continue.

Marathon and Halo don't take place in the same universe, so their stories aren't directly linked to one another (unless Bungie one day decides to release The Lost Network Packets v2.0). If they were, the events in Halo would take place about 200 years before Marathon 1. For the time being, the Halo trilogy is more of a remake of the Marathon trilogy rather than a sequel.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I heard somewhere that the Marine in Marathon was from Halo, but I don't know if that was just speculation. I haven't played Halo, but they do look kind of similar if you look at the Marathon concept art. Long ago I was really looking forward to Halo, but when MS bought Bungie and delayed the Mac version by what, 2-3 years, it kind of killed it for me. Not necessarily because MS bought them, just that they delayed it so long just so they could have a "killer app" for the XBox.