OSX Server

Defrag1984

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if there is an "enhanced" version of OSX Server that will run on a standard PC?

Ive got my OSX86 workstation running ok but I would like to have a play about on OSX Server before the school I work at buys the Macs i'm supposed to setup on the network.

Technically, no. However, you can install the Server software packages from the 10.4.7 Server DVD, which will basically turn your Client installation into a Server one.

You can't just go and do it, however... there's some special steps that have to be followed with the hacked kernel, the 10.4.9 update, etc. There's a guide somewhere on the forum, but I can't find it at the moment.

I know hecker knows where the guide is... maybe ask him.

Thanks ErBiC

Ive manged to borrow a real mac PC from another school so will just track down a torrent for server install dvd. Hopefully my OSX86 machine and OSX server will have me prepared for the delivery of 8 iMacs in september ready for the new school year....... then i will no doubt posting hundreds of messages asking how to fix a Mac once a kid has got his hands on it!!!

Defrag1984

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have the guide, that was spoken about?

I'd like to toy around with OS X server as well.

Could you please sent me the link?