DRM free iTunes music in the future?

4 posts in this topic

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_5832789

The last time Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs took on major recording companies, he refused to budge on his 99-cent price for a song on iTunes.

As a new round of talks ramp up this month, however, Jobs has opened the door to higher prices—as long as music companies let Apple Inc. sell their songs without technology designed to stop unauthorized copying.

Jobs contends that would "tear down the walls" by allowing consumers to play music they buy at Apple's iTunes store on any digital music player, not just the company's iPods.

Although most of the major labels insist that safeguards are still needed to stave off online piracy and make other digital music business models work, one company has already struck a deal with Apple...

Looks interesting, now I might actually buy some.

Digg it!

It's already happened/happening. The EMI record label has allowed DRM-free versions of all its tracks to be sold for $1.29, although AFAIK no others have followed suit.

But wouldn't it be nice if they all did?

I'm fully aware of the EMI deal. (I have Apple and Digg:Apple rss and watch it all the time, cause I have no life, well i do.)

• 5 weeks later...