Error has occured must restart...

chrispc88

8 posts in this topic

I've just put together a new PC to try a triple boot system. WindowsXP 64, ubuntu 64, and Mac OS X86. Everything installed easily and I was up and going the first night with only a couple minor problems on the Mac OS. My Ethernet wasn't working nor was Sound. I used the Jas Mac OSx86 10.4.8 DVD to install.

Within a couple days I found a driver that worked for my Ethernet. It was the RTL1xxx_1.02.pkg installer. I haven't gotten around to fixing the sound just yet, because after I installed the Ethernet fix, now the Mac OS want's to crash. I get the grey screen saying that an error has occured and I must restart by holding in the power button. At first I thought it was a problem with Safari (that was the only app I had open everytime it crashed). However, I've tried a couple times, just booting up and not touching anything. Within about 5 minutes, I get the error message telling me to reboot. Unfortunately, I don't know if this problem is directly related to the fix for my ethernet, because without a network connection, I didn't have the Mac OS running more than a couple minutes at a time - just to long enough to see that it was working. So the problem I'm experiencing now may have existed from the start, I can't be sure.

I have downloaded the koolkal 10.4.9 update, but I haven't tried installing that yet.

This new system is....

intel Core 2 Duo 2.13Ghz (E6420)

1 Gig of Kingston DDR2 667 Ram PC5400

250 SATA HDD (Mac OS is on an 80 Gig Partition)

Mach Speed MoBo with intel 945 chipset (MS945G-GLV)

Sony DVD+-RW burner

I've had a Quicksilver for years that I have upgraded EVERYTHING (including wiring in a standard ATX 600Watt psu). When I first upgraded the processor I had this same problem - wich turned out I just got a bum cpu. When it was exchanged for a different one, the problem went away. I don't think that's the case this time, since Windows and ubuntu isn't having a problem.

I've skimmed through most of the posts and I don't see where anyone is having a crash like this (i.e. with no apps running/system idle). Has anyone had this problem before? Could it be that I just need to go ahead and install the 10.4.9 update (if I understand correctly there's a kernel update - maybe that's what I'm needing)? Any advise would be really cool! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks,

Chris

Hi

What`s your kernel version? Type uname -a in the terminal window and see it. If it`s not the 8.8.1 try upgrading. Search the forums, I know there is somewhere a kernel updater. If does not work try finding another solution to the ethernet.

Good Luck

Paulo

Well earlier today I ran the koolkal kernel pack intel 1048 & 1049 latest.mpkg.zip, kernel update. That seemed to go well, so I started to run the 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 update. During the install of that update, when it was about 90% finished, the OS crashed again. So now Mac OS won't boot at all. It gets to the Apple logo grey screen, and after about a couple seconds - it reboots the computer. So, I think I'm going to go ahead and fromat and reinstall tomorow night. I'll repost after I'm finished and let you all know if the problem persists.

Before I wipe it and reinstall though, I would like to try to boot in a troubleshooting mode. chenwk mentioned booting with option -x. I'm not sure how to do that though. I'm using the GRUB bootloader. Is there something at it's menu that I have to do to put in the -x option? Sorry for sounding like such a noob.

OK I have narrowed the problem down to DEFINANTLY the NIC driver I used. I think it's probably just an IRQ conflict (WindowsXP shows the IRQ of the NIC as 20). I'm using the DaemonES RTL1xxx_1.02 driver. It works great - except that when I install it and then reboot - I start having problems with crashes.

I've reloaded the OS now 4 times (Trying to get the 10.4.9 update to work). I'd still like to know how to boot with options. I noticed that the DVD gives me the ability to boot with options if I press F8. Maybe I should try pressing F8 during the boot for OS X (sorry just now thought about that) from the HDD?

Anyway - Paulo Greimel asked what version is my kernel. It is the semthex 8.8.1

I have also found the forum posts for DaemonES' driver, so I'll make the rest of my posts on this subject there if I can't get this working. Thanks for the help. And please, if someone reads this, and knows that pressing F8 is not the answer as to how to boot with options - let me know! Thanks Again!!!

One last post about this. I found the problem was in-fact the driver I used for my NIC - I was using DeaminES' Realtek 1.02 driver. I am now using version 1.04 of his driver, you can find it on Sourceforge.net if you need it. After installation, and reboot - I wasn't immediatly able to surf the net. I had to manually put in an IP address (a real one for my ISP, not just anything), click Apply Now, then switch back to Automatic DHCP, and click Apply Now again. Then after about 1 or 2 seconds it found a valid IP address. I had to do this after the first couple reboots. After that - each reboot everything works automatically without having to manually do anything. It has been up and running all night, downloading files and such - without a crash or freeze. It appears to be working perfectly. Now all I've got to do is get the sound working and this thing will be perfect!