What the heck just happened?!?!?!

lxjenkins

8 posts in this topic

I successfully installed and used Mac OS 10.4.8 for a number of days. However, today when I booted up, immediately following the grey apple screen with spinning logo, there was a brief message on my monitor ("Resizing display.." or something of the like) and then the screen went black and my monitor went to standby. I thought it may have been a fluke so I booted up again and low and behold the same thing happened again.

Does anyone know what's going on and how to fix it? In between the last successful boot and the first messed up boot I had made no changes to the system.

My system:

P4 3.0ghz

ATI Radeon PCI-e 300x (didn't install the drivers as the monitor worked fine without it)

3 partitions on my hard drive - (1)Fat32 (2)Windows NTFS (3) AppleOS X

When and where do I enter "-x" to boot into safe mode without the installation dvd? The OS x86 boot menu comes up, I choose to boot to the Mac partition but have no time/space to enter -x.

Yes, I am a noob.

Ok - booted up in safe mode without a problem. The odd thing is is that in safe mode I have access to a whole slew of resolutions (not just 1024 x768) and it also knows that I'm using a Dell W1700 monitor.

Any clues?

Anyone have any suggestions? I think it has something to do with the resolution when the Mac OS starts up - as it appears similar to the problem I had when I mistakenly installed the Radeon driver during initial installation.

The question is - how do I fix the start up resolution?