How to remove a registry file?

Mebster

6 posts in this topic

I recently fallowed some instructions to sync my Windows and OS X clock times using a method where you create and install a registry file in the wiki.

The thing is I need remove the registry file I added so that when I begin using the timesync method, it doesn't try and sync the time twice but can't find out how. Does anyone know?

enter "regedit" in your START-Run field and press enter.

Then browse to the section you copied and remove the entry.

hecker

Actually it looks like all it's done is changed the value of the registry. Is that right? So all I need to do it change it back? The thing is i don't know what it was.

Anyone?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]

"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001

Simply browse into the folder containing the above path (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation), double-click the RealTimeIsUniversal key and change the value from 1 to 0 (leading zeroes don't count).

As an alternative you could reverse the fix by saving the following text:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]
"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000000

into a .reg file, like "reverse_timeReg.reg" for example and then double click that. (notice how the dword value is now 00000000 instead of 00000001).

Cheers,

hecker

Hi hecker, thanks a lot for the great reply. I'll try to put it in action later when i get home.

Btw, this is the first post i've made on my new N95. Not too bad. Can definately do this again.

Quick tip for editing the Windows registry with .reg files: To remove an existing entry, give the "-" (minus sign) argument to the key with no spaces after the equals sign. This will remove the key completely, leaving the rest of the entries intact.

For example, the following .reg code moves the menu to the top of the new IE7 window, like it's always been in previous versions of IE:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser]
"ITBar7Position"=dword:00000001

To restore it to the way M$ intended, you can just delete your new registry subkey by merging a .reg file containing:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser]
"ITBar7Position"=-

Bingo - the subkey vanishes.