C2D E6400 ES!

8 posts in this topic

Just had to let you all know that I picked up the E6400 ES! This is the Engineering Sample (hence the 'ES') that had old steppings but has the full 4 megs of cache on each core like the E6420. Plus I only paid $140 for it! w00t!

Anyone ever run OS X on one of these?

Post some benchmarks (Xbench, Geekbench1/2), I'm interested in the performance difference of processors with 2MB and 4MB L2-caches. It would also be interesting to see if it has some direct impact on performance in Pro Apps by using Cinebench to test it.

Pop it in and run it!

I got the processor and ther are a few quirks and I think its' because it's an engineering sample. My motherboard sees it as a "Pentium D 000". I see the 4 meg cache and the processor speed properly. In OS X it sees it as a Intel 80486.

Also, my geekbench is in the 2100's which was lower than my OC'ed Pentium D that got a 2300. My xbench is always around 100.

Right now I have this processor running at 2.47ghz up from the stock of 2.16ghz.

Also, everything runs REALLY fast. Not in a good way, it's running too fast. Playing Warcraft 3, the gameplay is about 50% faster than it should be, any thoughts on all of this?

everything you described is telling me your FSB isnt properly set or being detected. you need to use a newer kernel (latest ones) that have auto-FSB detection or set it manually (not sure if the newer ones let you set it manually, so you might have to find one that requires manual FSB and set it in Boot.plist).

Thanks sg. I figured it was something like that. I am just glad I had someone confirm it. Thanks again.

BTW. I ran this in Vista. I had to go through a hell of a time getting a spare HD and installing that pile of {censored} OS onto it. Anyhow, it got a 18 second SuperPi for 1M... That's 11 seconds faster than my friends stock AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ so I am quite pleased with this buy.

Yup. A kernel update fixed it. I'm running semthex's last kernel. Anyone have any suggestions of newer ones?

Thanks sg. I figured it was something like that. I am just glad I had someone confirm it. Thanks again.

BTW. I ran this in Vista. I had to go through a hell of a time getting a spare HD and installing that pile of {censored} OS onto it. Anyhow, it got a 18 second SuperPi for 1M... That's 11 seconds faster than my friends stock AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+ so I am quite pleased with this buy.

Yup. A kernel update fixed it. I'm running semthex's last kernel. Anyone have any suggestions of newer ones?

newer kernels are the 10.4.9 kind and are being released by netkas, checkout netkas's blog