Install: can not start up from that volume

misfit

18 posts in this topic

I created a primary HFS+ partition that is active.

If i do "fdisk /dev/rdisk0" i see a * before my HFS+ partition and the id is AF (just to be sure ;))

but when i try to select the partition in the install wizard it shows a red ! and says that:

You can not install MacOSX on this volume. MacOSX can not start up from this volume.

1. it can.. because if i start my pc it gives an error that there is currently no os on that partition.. so he tries to read the partition

2. i don't mind if it isn't bootable directly , i'm willing to enter osx by some bootloader if necessary.

Does anyone know how to make it even more bootable?

or how can i tell the installer that it should just install there (even if he thinks it is useless)

regards,

Tom

Try erasing the disk in disk tools (just the partition that shows up, not the whole disk) Altough I remember rumours of this screwing up in early reports, it has worked fine for me hwen I've done it. Erasing has the function of formatting the partition & making it ready to install.

You can find disk tools in the menubar when booted from the install dvd.

Try erasing the disk in disk tools (just the partition that shows up, not the whole disk) Altough I remember rumours of this screwing up in early reports, it has worked fine for me hwen I've done it. Erasing has the function of formatting the partition & making it ready to install.

You can find disk tools in the menubar when booted from the install dvd.

No, erasing has no effect.

Bummer ;)

It wouldn't be a logical volume in an extended partition, would it? it needs to be a primary partition to boot...

No it is a primary.

But i'm hoping somebody knows how to turn off that check (if it is able to start from the partition)

I'm beginning to see why you want the force install option.. final guess: the partition is not on the first HD? otherwise you've got me baffled..

It is not the first partition.. should that be a problem? ;)

can i get arround that, or should i do some PMagic

Can you post your partition map?

Some has problems with non first partition if the first is a "big" one.

Some has problems with logical partitions that are before the Mac OS X inteded partition.

I get the same message trying to upgrade my 10.4.1 deadmoo installation to 8f1099. I patched and burned the image, and my machine boots from the DVD fine. But in the "select disk" phase of installation, it shows my os x volume but says "cannot start up from this volume" and won't let me select it.

My partitions:

1) Primary, NTFS, 15gb

2) Logical/Extended, FAT32, 50gb

3) Primary, HFS+, 10gb

Any thoughts?

Can I convert the logical partition to primary without affecting the data? If so, I'll certainly try that.

My HFS+ partition was not set as primary (I was using the Windows bootloader). I tried making it primary, and verified the change by restarting - and the Darwin bootloader appeared. But this did not fix the installation issue.

I know that tools like Partition Magic can convert formats, but rule of gold is to backup to stay secure if 99.9% of success.

Also try to make the partition with Disk Utility and try to install, or with Diskpart with AF type.

i have been trying to do the same thing, i have several partitions and 3rd primary is where i want osx, it will not install there (same red cross error), but i can instlall to another hd and then dd the partition, that works and will boot fine, but after a while it corrupts and even if i boot from dvd after dd'ing disk util will not check or fix the partition (invalid b-tree error).

i wasnt aware that you could install to logical/extended partition, i will try that and try converting it to a primary afterwards.

will post a followup to let you know if it works.

I tried setting the third (HFS+) partition active, but the installer would still not let me proceed. Then I used PartitionMagic to convert the second (FAT32) partition from logical to primary, and then the installer would run.

So, to anyone who is experiencing this problem: it may be caused by the presence of extended partitions on the drive. If you can, try converting them to primary.

However, now I have another problem. The installer allows me to start the upgrade process, but then it quits part of the way in and says something like "There was an error installing the software" and tells me to restart. I've tried twice now, once doing the Easy Install and once doing a custom install in which I deselected the printer drivers and language packs, and selected X11. After the second botched upgrade, I tried to boot the mac partition, and it quickly went into a kernel panic. But I haven't yet searched the forum for a solution to this install problem, so maybe I'll find a way around.

Woo, alright!

Thought I was stuck with this problem until I found a new IDE drive to be a master, but it worked!

I converted a Logical Partition that I had to Primary and it installed no problems! (8099)

My mac partition is an AF from diskpart, previously with 10.4.3 that I installed to a vmware drive then restored over. I chose Upgrade and Install

Native works AND my Radeon 9500 is supported

I think it's a complete success...Just gotta check sound.

• 5 weeks later...

how did you convert the partition from a logical to a primary partition? I have partition magic and fiddled around in there but was unable to come across anything. If you could point me to some software that might help, or a way to use PMagic, that would be great.

how did you convert the partition from a logical to a primary partition? I have partition magic and fiddled around in there but was unable to come across anything. If you could point me to some software that might help, or a way to use PMagic, that would be great.

Here are some screen shots and a movie:

PartitionMagic1.JPG

PartitionMagic2.JPG

partitionMagic3.JPG

win98_Movie002.zip