Not even getting grey apple screen to install!?

Kevins19

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am trying to set up OSX 10.4.6 on my new PC as a dual boot with Windows XP. I keep seeing people have problems after installing or during install, but my issue is I cannot even get the grey apple screen. I picked hardware from the compatibility list so it should all work.. hopefully.

Hardware:

-EVGA 122 NF590 Motherboard

-AMD X2 Dual core 5600+

-2GB DDR800

-Seagate 250GB SATA Hard Drive (

-Maxtor 80GB IDE Hard Drive (Windwos XP install drive)

-Pioneer 16x DVD Burner SATA

-PNY nVidia 7600GS 256MB PCIe

-Retail copy of OS-X 10.4.6 DVD

Windows XP installs fine and works perfectly. I cannot however get anything to boot from the DVD at all. I have tried unplugging the IDE windows drive and it just gives me an error about mising system partition. I did follow the steps about setting up the partition for the SATA drive and disabling USB in the BIOS.

Any ideas as to why the DVD wont boot at all? no loading screen or anything. Do I have to use the image process? or will the retail DVD work?

Any help would be greatly appretiated. Thank You.

You need:

1. A prepatched OSX 10.4.x install image.

2. An empty dvd recordable (+R or –R, NO Rewritable!).

3. An IDE Disc.

The guide:

1. Get an prepatched OSX 10.4.x install image.

2. Burn the image to an empty dvd recordable (+R or –R,NO Rewritable!)

Use your favourite burn program for this (Recommented Nero Burning Rom or Alcohol 120% or MagicISO or PowerISO e.t.c.)

Make sure that S.M.A.R.T. is disabled from Bios configuration.

Use IDE Disc and IDE Drive,Jumpers seted like master and slave on the same primary chanel.

Use PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse.

3. Insert the OSX install disk and reboot your computer, follow the installation steps on your screen.

Chose Language and after that chose Tools>DiscUtility and Delete and give a name to your Disc, close DiscUtility after that.

Chose Customize on the Instalation menu and be careful what you chose (you dont need all the languages support, X11 tools, all Printers Drivers).

Chose all AMD related updates and kexts.

post-100410-1178016639_thumb.jpg

You need:

1. A prepatched OSX 10.4.x install image.

2. An empty dvd recordable (+R or –R, NO Rewritable!).

3. An IDE Disc.

So am I to understand the standard retail version of 10.4.6 is not Pre-patched to install on my machine? I am dl'ing the Jas 10.4.8 AMD image now... I will burn that and try that.

Also, do you think the fact I have a SATA DVD Drive matters.

heh, maybe I should have done more research about the install then. I spent al my time looking at hardware compatibility and not about the install.

...Anybody want to buy a brand new retail copy of OS-X 10.4 :(

Its ok, I got it at CompUSA because they are closing many of thier stores now for only $77.35.