Top 30 mistakes made by new mac users

28 posts in this topic

am, all fine in that case macgirl :P, in fact my desktop is always clean but i don't like to save files in predefined users location..for example, one directory called mp3 to store all the music files, not into /Users/Music

2. Downloading an app and running it from the disk image.

There's nothing wrong with this. I do it all the time if I'm just testing an application to see if it's what I want. The claim that it's slower isn't accurate either. If you use FileVault, your entire user folder is actually a disk image, and it runs just fine. If it's a compressed disk image, it might launch slightly slower, but it won't run any slower.

18. Thinking the green "+" button maximises a window to full screen (not realising that Apple's maximise philosophy is to only make a window as big as it needs to be to comfortably fit the width of content currently being displayed)

Back in System 7, option-clicking on the grow box would make it full screen. While I prefer the auto-sizing that it normally does, I wish there were still a modifier key you could hold down to make it go full screen.