VIA C7, Mini ITX

8 posts in this topic

OK so ive had this mini itx board for a wile and i know that the chipsets work in it but will the processor. its a via C7 that supports SSE3. 1GHz. i originall put it into a macintosh classic so i have an mini computer running vista in a mac classic case. the screen only supports 800x600 as well.

im hoping there is a processor fix for it cuz it would be sooo cool to run os on a modded classic... lol... technically its an apple labled sstem too. :rolleyes:

if it wont work, how hard would it be to write ne processor kexts for the base system..... someone had to do it for the AMD processors? :whistle:

The C7's (From what I have heard) run emulated SSE (1,2,3) Instruction sets. X86 is even emulated to a degree through the ALU. A company at CeBIT 2006 that made Mini-ITX boards In both PPC and Intel Flavors told me this....Speaking of CeBIT.....It's on today in Sydney. Ill be there in 2hrs!

That still didn't answer your question......The answer is Yes in theory it should work but there is no Classic for x86 and the onboard video probably isn't supported, so no QE+CI. Plug in a spare HDD and give it a test. Make sure you have plenty of RAM.

Were processor kexts written for AMD? Because when I first tried OSX86 on my AMD64 3200+ a few years back it just had the CPU label as "ADP @ 3.2GHz"

if only maxxuss was here to help!

Classic is just a modded case.... i put a mini itx computer in a mac classic case (it ran 7.10 lol) ne ways so i thought it would be cool to have it look like OS X was running ion it.

ill try it in a min tho.... but if the CD wont boot ill have to write my own VIA Processor kexts... i assume

EDIT: no the SSE3 is not emulated.. i looked it up.... full support. and i have a spare fx 5200 so im not worried about QE/CI

OK so heres my results. i booted with the following options.... -v platform=ACPI cpus=1

and as soon as it loaded i get a panic like this

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x00197641): fpu is not FP_FXSR

Debugger called: <panic>

backtrace, format - frame : return address (4 potentiarl args on stack)

+ more if needed