Crime-proof iPods Please...

17 posts in this topic

Reuters reports that British Home Secretary John Reid will reach out to Apple and Sony for help in curbing "gadget" related crime.

The UK saw an 8 per cent rise in street robberies in the last quarter of 2006, prompting the government to draw up a shortlist of MP3 player makers who it hopes to convince to take part in an anti-crime summit. According to a spokesman, the Home Office already enjoys a close working relationship with mobile phone manufacturers.

"New technology, lifestyle changes, new commodities and new gadgets mean that the criminals continually move on," Reid told the BBC's Sunday AM programme. "So when we defeat them on mobile phones, they move on to Sat-Navs and then on to iPods."

Actually, that would probably work the best.

Or maybe they should lower the price so people wouldn't be as tempted to steal them.

I'm thinking an "opt-in" feature for IP tracking on the SN when registering your iPod. Whenever the iPod is synced with Apple, if the SN is registered with Apple, it will report the current Public IP of the computer it is connected to.

The the original purchaser of the iPod doesn't want their IP sent to Apple, they just don't "opt-in" or register altogether.

Simple, Effective... Beautiful. I think I need to patent my idea and sell it to Apple.

Are they going to have security systems in them?

Idea 1

I'm thinking of a system where when you want to start using the ipod you must drop a small blood sample for it to analyze (taking aprox 30mins) to confirm that your DNA matches with the registered owner. And if it doesn't, you have 5 seconds to to put it down otherwise M.I. :rolleyes:

I'm sure that would make people think twice before trying to steal it.

Idea 2

Finger print scanners on the ipod screen. If it fails you get a mega shock knocking you unconscious so that other people can steal everything else from you while you lay there, but leaving the ipod.

Idea 1

I'm thinking of a system where when you want to start using the ipod you must drop a small blood sample for it to analyze (taking aprox 30mins) to confirm that your DNA matches with the registered owner. And if it doesn't, you have 5 seconds to to put it down otherwise M.I. :blowup:

I'm sure that would make people think twice before trying to steal it.

Idea 2

Finger print scanners on the ipod screen. If it fails you get a mega shock knocking you unconscious so that other people can steal everything else from you while you lay there, but leaving the ipod.

:whistle: I like idea number two, very creative!!!!! :hysterical: