Vista Unmaintainable?

Ictinike

34 posts in this topic

Your just in pure denial thats all. Obviously midrange or high end modern graphics card will run aero, but thats not what most people have now do they? Dell offers pretty much all of their systems with the Intel GMA950, and this is NOT enough to fully push out Aero. Same goes with a lot of computer manufacturers, in which case, you do have to upgrade to a card that can handle Aero, and this is the entire point.

And no, I was not meaning finding evidence from sites like InsanelyMac (here), where the majority will say yes it does hog the system performance. I was talking aboout other sites out there that do weekly journals that talk about tech related articles. However, the links that you did provide...were infact from totally Microsoft biased websites, and you'r even more biased because you said "And even if they were biased, it does not change what they're saying" which removes your credibility right then and there.

You CANNOT run Aero Glass on Vista's published minimum specifications, it it will be way to slow.

Have you even used OS X? Judging from your anti-mac attitude, I would say no...but this is one point where I would like to be proven wrong. All you ever do is hijack a perfectly good running thread, turn it lopsided, and then turn it into a flame war. I hope your happy. All myself and another member said was calling the increased hardware power a "myth" is not correct. I never bashed you or anything did I? Good job for turning this thread bad.

Here's some links that show Vista is indeed powerhungry:

1. Full Article:

The study revealed that 94% of the business surveyed PCs are unable to meet the premium system requirements of Vista, and nearly 50% cannot even meet the minimum requirements. The study also showed that 60% of organizations are planning to wait more than six 6 months before switching to Vista; and roughly 50% (of those) plan to wait at least a year or more

2. Full Article

CNET Review

Hardware requirements for Windows Vista should not be taken lightly. In a controversial move to garner positive reviews, Microsoft sent hundreds of bloggers (not including CNET) free copies of Windows Vista Ultimate; Microsoft did not send boxed copies, rather the software giant sent top-of-the-line Acer Ferrari laptops with the operating system preinstalled. So even Microsoft seems to admit that the best performance is only available on top-of-the-line machines manufactured within the last year or so.

3. Full Article

PC Magazine

Hefty hardware requirements. Minor bugs and rough edges in UI.

4. Full Article

Trusted Reviews

The key thing to pay attention to here is the memory requirement. Though even Vista Ultimate will get by on the minimum 512MB of RAM, you won't be able to benefit from all of the interface's whizz-bang features. Some, including Flip 3D and the live Alt-Tab and taskbar previews are memory intensive and simply can't be accessed if you don't have enough memory installed. The system is still snappy and responsive running on 1GB of memory, while Vista's new Readyboost technology allows you to use compatible USB memory keys and flash memory cards to bolster performance further, but, as ever, if you can afford more it's probably a good idea to invest.

And it doesn't stop there. Since so much in the Vista upgrade is focused on the visual experience, your display hardware is going to need to be up to spec too. Though you can run it on lower resolution displays, to take full advantage I'd recommend at least 1,280 x 1,024 to take full advantage of all of that lovely eye candy. Your video card is going to have to have a bit more horsepower to spare than it did with XP as well – you'll need at the very least 128MB of memory and it should support DirectX 9 too.

5. Full Article

Technology Review

Although my computer meets the minimum requirements of a "Vista Premium Ready PC," with one gigabyte of RAM, I could run only a few ­simple programs, such as a Web browser and word processor, without running out of memory. I couldn't even watch a movie: Windows Media Player could read the contents of the DVD, but there wasn't enough memory to actually play it. In short, you need a hell of a computer just to run this OS.

6. Full Article

PC World

Hardware Requirements: Be prepared to spend a bundle for hardware upgrades--or a new computer.

7. Full Article

Znet

Hardware requirements for Windows Vista should not be taken lightly. In a controversial move to garner positive reviews...................

basically the same exact thing as Cnet.

8. Full Article

Active Network

n order to see your slide show with high-quality visuals (including themes and transitions), you need to have a subscore of 3.0 for the Graphics category in the Windows Experience Index. Some themes also require your computer's graphics card to have a feature called Vertex Shader 2.0. To take advantage of all slide show capabilities, you might need to upgrade to a more powerful graphics card.

9. Full Article

Forbes.com

Should you upgrade your current machine? Are you nuts? Upgrading is almost always a royal pain. Many older boxes are too wimpy for Vista, and a "Vista-ready"...Don't even consider updating an old machine to Vista, period. And unless you absolutely must, don't buy a new one with Vista until the inevitable Service Pack 1 (a.k.a. Festival o' Fixes) arrives to combat horrors as yet unknown.

10. Full Article

Enagadget

bit-tech has discovered a 10 percent performance hit in most operations in comparison to XP, which isn't noticeable on high-end PCs, but might be enough of a reason for low-end users to hold off for the moment

11. Full Article

Walt Mossberg - The Wall Street Journal

To get the full benefits of Vista, especially the new look and user interface, which is called Aero, you will need a hefty new computer, or a hefty one that you purchased fairly recently. The vast majority of existing Windows PCs won't be able to use all of Vista's features without major hardware upgrades. They will be able to run only a stripped-down version, and even then may run very slowly.

In fact, in my tests, some elements of Vista could be maddeningly slow even on new, well-configured computers.

12. Full Article

IT Reviews

Aero uses your DirectX 9 graphics card to add funky transparency effects to the windows and task bar on your screen, which means that the system requirements for Vista are relatively high. Owners of older PCs and laptops are likely to be restricted to Windows Vista Home Basic which doesn't include Aero.

Those before mentioned articles are just few among the many. Most of them point out the positive side of Vista as well, however they all have one thing in common....increased hardware requirements.

Guys, this is not a "MY FAV OS IZ BETTA THAN URZ HAHAHAHA" thread, stop it.

This is about the Windows Source code being released online. xD Damn.

Thanks for the great links EFI :P And you hit the nail on the head regarding some people being in denial. That's EXACTLY what it is. Every first year medical student knows that being in denial is a safety mechanism for people who believe one thing, and can't let go of it and accept the truth. Some go into denial about the death of a loved one, some about a relationship that has gone bad, and some, apparently, about vista ;)

From EFI's post:

Your just in pure denial thats all. Obviously midrange or high end modern graphics card will run aero, but thats not what most people have now do they? Dell offers pretty much all of their systems with the Intel GMA950, and this is NOT enough to fully push out Aero.

Everything else you said regarding hardware requirements was pretty much true, except I was under the impression that the GMA950 ran aero fine.

From Wikipedia: GMA950 Article

The 950 was created with Microsoft Windows Vista kept in mind and will easily run the Aero interface[citation needed].

I made the "citation needed" nice and big so you would be aware that thats unconfirmed, but this somewhat supports my argument so its in there.

From WinSuperSites review of Boot Camp 1.2 Beta: Vista on a Macbook

Since Macs and PCs use the same underlying hardware now, you can expect Windows Vista to run about as well on a Mac as it would on a comparable PC. My MacBook has a 2 GHz Core Duo processor, 2 GB of RAM, and integrated graphics: In Vista, performance is excellent, and you get the full Aero treatment.

Since its a macbook we know it has the GMA950 inside, and in the article Paul states that aero runs fine.

I am not trying to flame or anything with this post, correct me if I am wrong.

From EFI's post:

Everything else you said regarding hardware requirements was pretty much true, except I was under the impression that the GMA950 ran aero fine.

From Wikipedia: GMA950 Article

I made the "citation needed" nice and big so you would be aware that thats unconfirmed, but this somewhat supports my argument so its in there.

From WinSuperSites review of Boot Camp 1.2 Beta: Vista on a Macbook

Since its a macbook we know it has the GMA950 inside, and in the article Paul states that aero runs fine.

I am not trying to flame or anything with this post, correct me if I am wrong.

You understood me wrong mate. The Intel GMA950 can run Aero yes, but it is not sufficient to run it smoothly. It simply doesnt have the amount of clock speeds nor the pixel pipelines (2) to run Aero. See the thing is Aero uses hardware acceleration, so if the integrated graphics chip uses basically the same memory that your system is running on, its actually hindering your system, and not helping it, even though it is hardware accelerated. However if you were to use a dedicated graphics card, then Aero would take advantage of the GPU memory, and not your main system memory, and thus will help it run more smoother. Its just a power imbalance thats all. Macbooks can run Vista yes, but not as smoothly as say the Macbook Pro...which can run Aero Glass the speed in which it was designed to run at. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the great links EFI :rolleyes: And you hit the nail on the head regarding some people being in denial. That's EXACTLY what it is. Every first year medical student knows that being in denial is a safety mechanism for people who believe one thing, and can't let go of it and accept the truth. Some go into denial about the death of a loved one, some about a relationship that has gone bad, and some, apparently, about vista ;)

:D

Its just a power imbalance thats all. Macbooks can run Vista yes, but not as smoothly as say the Macbook Pro...which can run Aero Glass the speed in which it was designed to run at. :)

Ok, I can agree to that.