triple-booting

jnev

72 posts in this topic

pc guru, i thought that dd was a linux command, all the how-to's i've seen are for linux. no i haven't yet tried with windows.

Hagar, i'm using grub...

Exist a dd for Windows, i haven't linux and i installed tiger-x86-flat.img using dd.

How would you boot linux from winxp? do you copy the bootsector with dd?

You won't boot with windows nor linux, you'll do it with darwin bootloader and there you chose what OS you want.

You won't boot with windows nor linux, you'll do it with darwin bootloader and there you chose what OS you want.

No, I'll boot with LILO, like I always do :)

You suggested "Doing it in WinXP" I wondered how you achieved this, but clearly you use the darwin bootloader, so nevermind...

Regardless this is off-topic...

The problem with cfdisk sounds worrying. Can you see your partition table properly in gparted or partition magic? it might be that you have a messed-up partition table.

setting up grub is covered here fwiw, althought you seem to have that part in hand..

i can see everything just fine with gparted or partition magic. i'm a little confused though with what you guys are suggesting. where can i get the darwin bootloader from?

the darwin bootoader sits in your osx86 installation. You don't need to get it from anywhere. If the osx86 partition is active & bootable, the darwin bootloader does the rest. It doesn't behave quite like linux bootloaders that you are probably used to. If you have a windows partition you can invoke the darwin bootloader using the chain0 method. chain0 is a file found in /usr/standalone/i386 & forms part of the darwin bootloader. To select a partition to boot with the darwin bootloader, you hit f8 at startup.

Hagar,

you're saying that if i hit f8 while my computer is booting i'll go straight into the darwin bootloader where i can boot osx?

When you boot with osx86, you'll get darwin bootloader running, then if you hit any key (except [ENTER]), you can chose any OS to boot, you'll do this when bootloader does the countdown. But you need install osx86 first.

jnev--

Most of the guides, and I think all of the advice you are getting here, are for situations where all the systems are on one drive. Having your OSX alone on a drive and trying to boot it off a system on another drive is making it really complicated, and I don't think you are getting any useful advice because of the uniqueness of what you are trying to do. Is there no way you can safely shrink down a partition on your first drive, create a new one from the space, and dd the OSX there? Then you will be in a configuration that a lot of us have and our help might actually be helpful!

ok, fine. i'll do that later today. for the dd command should i use this

sudo dd bs=1048576 if=./tiger-x86-flat.img of=/dev/sdc4

instead of

sudo dd bs=1048576 if=./tiger-x86-flat.img of=/dev/sdb

since the partition i'll try installing to is sdc4.

thanks for the advice guys, hopefully it'll work now!

Is sdc4 a primary partition? I think it needs to be to boot. also, if you're using an existing partition, you need to use the "Skip=1" to not write the extra boot block.

Edited by Hagar

Is sdc4 a primary partition? I think it needs to be to boot. also, if you're using an existing partition, you need to use the "Skip=1" to not write the extra boot block.

You're right, that partition needs to be primary and active, if him wish to boot with darwin.

i was gonna add it to grub, not the darwin bootloader... and no its not an existing partition,i'll be creating it from free space..

i wont be using sdc for os x. sda has both windows and linux partitions on it, so i'll be adding a partition for os x on it as well. how big does the partition need to be? is 5gb enough?

Edited by jnev

i was gonna add it to grub, not the darwin bootloader... and no its not an existing partition,i'll be creating it from free space..

i wont be using sdc for os x. sda has both windows and linux partitions on it, so i'll be adding a partition for os x on it as well. how big does the partition need to be? is 5gb enough?

It should be at least 6.5 GB or more, depending of what you want to install after.

damn.. pm8 woulnt let me make a partition for some reason. i reboot my pc and then pm8 starts partitioning, then gives me an error and reboots my pc again. damnit, im beginning to think this whole thing isnt even worth it...

It's a shame you seem to have hit the bad side of osx86.

Although in the confusion of support that is often more enthusiastic than accurate it may not seem that way, it is actually remarkably simple, if you just satisfy the requirements: (intel cpu w/sse3,nx,pae intel 9xx chipset etc.. & osx86 on a primary partition ideally on the primary master ata disk). For every step you go away from the ideal it becomes more complicated. Don't give up now, you're just a step away...

well, i have an intel cpu with sse3 (prescott 520), i have a 925xe chipset (abit aa8xe), i didnt make a partition for osx though. all of sdb was completely unformatted, then i just gave dd the command to install to sdb in general. after i issued the command i looked at sdb in gparted and it showed that there was a hfs partition (about 6gb), and the rest was still unformatted. could this have been my problem?? all of my hd's are sata150.

So.. my suggestions at the end of this long tortuous road..

1. do you have an option in the bios to make a sata disk appear as an ata disk to the system? this might help

2. as far as I can see al you need to do is get grub to boot your partition (sdb1, I assume) which has been more or less covered earlier.

3. just to make sure.. you did dd the image from the full 6gb size, not the 4gb you ended up with on fat32?

lets see where that gets you... :-/

1. what will enabling this feature do? i looked in my bios and i couldnt see anything that seemed like it would do this..

2. yes, in grub i put (hd1,0) - second hd, first partition. though like i said in my previous post, i never created any partitions. the hard drive was completely blank and unformatted. i told dd to install osx to sdb (not any specific partition), and after it installed gparted was showing me that there's a 6gb hfs partition there. the rest of the hd was blank.

3. yes. i unzipped the file in windows on ntfs, and then in ubuntu i used dd to install the full 6gb image to sdb.

...and after it installed gparted was showing me that there's a 6gb hfs partition there. the rest of the hd was blank...

This part of your process, isn't a good idea, because dd into the disk is done in a af partition. A blank disk, not formated without any partition (neither primary nor none), how you want to boot from it ?.

hfs/hfs+ = Hierarchical file system (extended) = macos file system

(like ntfs for windows or ext3 for linux)

af = darwin partition label, the equivalent for windows is ab & linux is 83 iirc..

So in this case an af partition is the same as an hfs partition, for all practical purposes.

Edited by Hagar

Not my friend, i don't ask you how to boot Windows, i only said that need create a partition (primary of course) for to install/copy an OS if you want to boot from it. If one OS not have a primary partition, it never will boot.

ok, i created a 20gb partition on sdb and tried to install it with dd using the command sudo dd bs=1048576 if=./tiger-x86-flat.img of=/dev/sdb1 (the partition i created was sdb1). now it tries to boot, but it just says my what i wrote in the menu.lst file to boot it. it doesn't say hpfs partition error anymore, though.