10.4.9 on ATI x200

errandwolfe

6 posts in this topic

I am going nuts here! I have been trying to get 10.4.9 working on my lappy (specs in sig) for weeks now since the first AMD kernel release.

Starting from a clean functional 10.4.8 I have tried just about every method I have come across and they all wind up doing the exact same thing. Right where it looks like the kernel is loading the system locks up. I have no drive activity and have left the system for upwards of half an hour and it never gets past this point.

Has anyone been able to get 10.4.9 working on a x200 based system? If you have could you please details the steps you went through to get it working?

Thanks in advance.

I have the same issue with x200m but i have an intel processor. After the update just before the grey loading screen would appear i see a flash of green then the laptop always reboots.

Also did a fresh install without katana installed and still the same :)

OK, I figured it out....

Here are the steps I went through:

1. Perform a clean install of 10.4.8

2. Once your install is completed backup ALL your 10.4.8 extensions.

3. Install the AMD 10.4.9 update (I used the Tubgirl 1 release).

4. DO NOT REBOOT YET.....Force quite when the update is done installing.

5. Install the latest 10.4.9 kernel (I used the Koolkal 4-20 update).

6. PAUSING HERE FOR EDIT

The problem definitely seems to be related to the AppleACPI kext. Using the 10.4.9 kext I lock up (see this page on netkas' site for more info -- specifically step 6). Using the 10.4.8 kernel WITH IMPROPER PERMISSIONS I am able to boot. If I repair the permissions or delete the file entirely I get a kernel panic.