Dell Latitude D600 OS X Hangs after Kernel Boot/Load

macfan45

13 posts in this topic

I apologize if this is has already been asked, but I could not find the answer. I had a successful install of Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2].iso on a Dell Latitude D600 (No Upgrades) twice! The first time I had rebooted after the install, the Apple Logo appeared with a spinning gear for a decent amount of time. Then I got a white screen. So I decided to reinstall the OS a second time. Again it was successful, however I still got the same problem. I do not believe that the boot process is hanging on the kernel because the spinning gear appears to be spinning long enough. I also am positive my disk image is not corrupted because my friend was successful installing the OS using the same image I gave him. Could anyone help me out. Could it be that I have clicked to install all hardware essentials? Could it be that since I installed two video drivers, they are conflicting? I would really appreciate it if anyone could assist me. Thanks in advanced!

P.S.

I Do not have the system specs at the moment because I do not have the laptop in my presence. I do believe that it is still standard (meaning no hardware was added or removed and it was a default laptop).

I had the exact same problem with a different osx dvd image. It's not the kernel but I don't know what the problem is. The white screen kinda appears like it's burning the screen and it's actually a little grey along the screen border? It scared the $h!t out of me when it first happened. I tried booting in verbose mode but never saw any errors because it actually stops outputting lines and starts to load the gui, then white.

have you ever been able to load completely into the gui with your osx DVD (not the install screens, but the actual OS)??? I would suggest reburning this DVD at the lowest speed possible on your drive. If that doesn't fix it, and it probably won't it's time to download a different image.

Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2].iso, the version you are using, is actually the one that worked well for me. I would also suggest not updating to 10.4.9 until someone releases the sse2 kernel that has been developed (people haven't posted it in the usual places...) to everyone outside their group...

PM me if you have more questions...

the specs for this computer, atleast mine are:

[Laptop]

Dell D600 || CPU: Intel Pentium M (Banias) 1.4GHz (SSE2 only)

RAM: 2x512MB Viking || HD: Fujitsu PATA 30GB

DVD: NEC ND-6650A || Video: ATI Radeon 9000 Mobility (callisto 003)

I had the exact same problem with a different osx dvd image. It's not the kernel but I don't know what the problem is. The white screen kinda appears like it's burning the screen and it's actually a little grey along the screen border? It scared the $h!t out of me when it first happened. I tried booting in verbose mode but never saw any errors because it actually stops outputting lines and starts to load the gui, then white.

have you ever been able to load completely into the gui with your osx DVD (not the install screens, but the actual OS)??? I would suggest reburning this DVD at the lowest speed possible on your drive. If that doesn't fix it, and it probably won't it's time to download a different image.

Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2].iso, the version you are using, is actually the one that worked well for me. I would also suggest not updating to 10.4.9 until someone releases the sse2 kernel that has been developed (people haven't posted it in the usual places...) to everyone outside their group...

PM me if you have more questions...

the specs for this computer, atleast mine are:

[Laptop]

Dell D600 || CPU: Intel Pentium M (Banias) 1.4GHz (SSE2 only)

RAM: 2x512MB Viking || HD: Fujitsu PATA 30GB

DVD: NEC ND-6650A || Video: ATI Radeon 9000 Mobility (callisto 003)

Thanks for such a quick reply (everyone). Unfortunately I have not even been able to see the GUI on the actual OS. Only the white screen. (Since I can install, I am able to see some of the Mac Os X GUI, but from the DVD). Also, thanks PopMishima for the idea. I'll try that out tomorrow.

I apologize for any bother.

I would just like to know if you had gotten OS X 86 to work on your laptop (I believe that there isn't full compatibility right out of the box.) and (since you have the same graphics card as (I think) the laptop I am working on) I was wondering what driver you had chosen to install. I had read somewhere that if you install too many drivers, they will conflict. Thanks so much for your time.

(P.S. Take your time.)

as popmishima said connecting the laptop to a second monitor may help you enough for you to replace the 'drivers'. If that does work navigate to /system/library/extensions and delete all Geforce*.kext files and all ATI*.kext files except Atindrv.kext (i'm not sure if that's 100% needed either but keep it.) you'll want to find a copy of callisto 003 (006 will not work!!!) google it! if you can't find it there pm me. after that open diskutility and repair permissions...reboot without secondary monitor. post results

post back here if that doesn't work.

as popmishima said connecting the laptop to a second monitor may help you enough for you to replace the 'drivers'. If that does work navigate to /system/library/extensions and delete all Geforce*.kext files and all ATI*.kext files except Atindrv.kext (i'm not sure if that's 100% needed either but keep it.) you'll want to find a copy of callisto 003 (006 will not work!!!) google it! if you can't find it there pm me. after that open diskutility and repair permissions...reboot without secondary monitor. post results

post back here if that doesn't work.

So I had erased my previous installation and "successfully installed" Mac OS X on a better burn media. Still, I got the white screen. So I opened terminal and navigated to /System/Library and didn't find and folder under the name extensions! I did however find an extensions.kext file. Could this possibly be the problem? I had also downloaded the callisto 003 but I don't know what it is or how to use/install it. So in the end, I have made no progress. Is there anything else to try. Thanks.

I decided to boot from my DVD and check out system profiler. Then I went to Graphics/Displays to see if it even recognizes my ATI Mobility Radion 9000 card. It does, but there is no kext loaded. Could somebody please help me out, I think this is the problem. (I have a full OS X installation on the drive already, just cannot do anything cause of that white screen).

I have this same computer and the same problem. I got in to delete the other drivers and found the callisto 003 driver but I don't know a way to get the driver onto my disk.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got this to work after experiencing the same problems as people on this thread. The issue is with the ati drivers that you install when installing os x. If you can, deselect anything to do with graphics driver support and you should be ok.

The main problem now is that I think os x used some kind of generic driver that does not support QE and so you get loads of errors the moment you use any application that requires this level of graphics.

Hope this helps

If I'm not mistaken you guys are stuck to the Calisto driver. (not bad)

But it means if you want to boot up the GUI, and have a 'working' loginwindow. I think you delete all ati kexts so you use VESA. you have to use VESA drivers to boot up I think.. (there's most likely some boot flag for it, I'll check it out when I have time)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I apologize for not replying in a long, long time but the school work has been piling up and I just have not had the time to play around.

I DID GET IT TO WORK WITH QE.

I just didn't select any of the "support for common hardware" and it worked. Simple as that. :thumbsdown_anim: I hope this helps some.

(PS. I have installed OS X 86 on three other machines without a hitch using this same method. They were all dells.)

• 6 months later...
Hey everyone,

I apologize for not replying in a long, long time but the school work has been piling up and I just have not had the time to play around.

I DID GET IT TO WORK WITH QE.

I just didn't select any of the "support for common hardware" and it worked. Simple as that. :P I hope this helps some.

(PS. I have installed OS X 86 on three other machines without a hitch using this same method. They were all dells.)

Hi all,

I've just managed to install tiger on my d600, but how did you get the ati radeon mobility 9000 to work properly (not using vesa)? Did you get the ethernet working?

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible for someone to post a guide on installing OSx86 onto a Dell D600 and the steps required to insert the correct extensions and kexts? That would be great. Considering I just ordered this.

http://www.usanotebook.com/1392-DLAD600_de...titude_d600.php