Running out of disk space? ...WTF?!

yoda75

6 posts in this topic

I have a problem guys."Get Info" for my system disk says that the total capacity is 37GB (? it's supposed to be a 40 GB drive) Anyways, I did "get info" for all the main folders in the root directory and their are 13GB of data unaccounted for. I know there are some hidden folders in the root directory and an MBR to think about but surely their is no way it could add up to 13GB. I verified both the main disk and the volume (there is only one partition on the drive).

Can anybody help me find out what the hell is going on? I need to find out because I am getting "running out of disk space" error messages. Below is a screenshot:

WTF_.tiff

For the first question, a 40GB drive is really 37.25GB, not 40GB, so that part is correct (take 40,000,000,000 and divide it by 1024 three times). For the second question, it could be several things. It doesn't calculate the things that it doesn't have permission to read. For example, if you have another user account on the computer, it will only calculate the size of the "Sites" and "Public" folders. Virtual Memory is also taking at least a few GB on your computer. VM alone on my computer is taking 15.75GB right now.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to try out that app and see if it helps. Although I suspect that it is some kind of VRAM or something because in my activity monitor it shows over 7GB used for VRAM. It is idiculous though, I would have thought that a 40GB disk would be enough for the OS and a few apps.

I would have thought that a 40GB disk would be enough for the OS and a few apps.

It should be more than enough for the OS and a few apps. My Mac Mini has an 80GB drive in it, but it's only using 2.8GB lol. Of course that's literally just the OS, VNC, and about 180 AppleScripts. How much RAM do you have? I think OS X always starts you out with at least as much VRAM as you have RAM (maybe 1.5x as much), so if you have 4GB of RAM, you'll have at least 4GB of VRAM.

I have 1GB of RAM. I downloaded that Whatsize program and after justarting it up, my finder is nw showing 14GB available. OH my graphics are starting to really slow down. I think this may be a video driver issue. I have GMA950 BTW.