Parallels or VMware for OS X and Vista on MBP

9 posts in this topic

I am fighting my way learning OS X. Stil cannot get a Network printer to work.. but besides that..

I have boot camp installed along with Vista Ultimate, Activated and all.. I NEED Windows for a couple programs , which is why it is installed, But which will be better to run for VM? Parallels or Fusion? I am lookign for experience from users on either.

Coherence that parallels has would be GREAT then I could use OS X more to learn it, but it is not a requirement as of right now..

So which would be better?

I already have it set-up with the NTFS-3G so I can read/write to the Windows Partition.. So with VM I would want to use the Boot Camp Partition. Which is the 'better' suggested VM solution

Thanks

Jeff

My Machine is a C2D MBP 2.33 GHz, 2GHz RAM, and a 120GIG..

I am a happy user of VMware's products(Server=USB 2.0!). Fusion, IMHO might be a better choice. They are actally planning to go for Aero acceration(Parallels PR can talk and talk but Fusion is already up to DX8.1.), there's 64bit support and such.

So I ordered Parallels and I am waiting for it to arrive. I did not realize that Fusion was in Beta and free, so I am downloading it as I type. Question:

Does Fusion have a Coherence mode like Parallels?

Also if I install Fusion and decide to use parallels instead ( or vice versa) how do you uninstall programs in OS X?

So I ordered Parallels and I am waiting for it to arrive. I did not realize that Fusion was in Beta and free, so I am downloading it as I type. Question:

Does Fusion have a Coherence mode like Parallels?

No, Coherence has been developed by Parallels' team and it's a very great innovation IHMO.

Also if I install Fusion and decide to use parallels instead ( or vice versa) how do you uninstall programs in OS X?

You can use both together: there are none issues. Of course, as far as I read (I haven't tested Fuion yet due to SN problem... (damn!!!)) you can share the same image files.

No, Coherence has been developed by Parallels' team and it's a very great innovation IHMO.

You can use both together: there are none issues. Of course, as far as I read (I haven't tested Fuion yet due to SN problem... (damn!!!)) you can share the same image files.

Gotcha.. I even like the fact that I can use the same image file for both, after doing some more reading I found that Vista is not supported if it is on a partition in Boot Camp (which I have done) So I would guess that it may be supported in a future release so i will not sweat that one too much, but I plan on trying Parallels transporter for XP on my old laptop.

Now typically how big are the image files or are they the same size as they would be if they were on a HD?

Gotcha.. I even like the fact that I can use the same image file for both, after doing some more reading I found that Vista is not supported if it is on a partition in Boot Camp (which I have done) So I would guess that it may be supported in a future release so i will not sweat that one too much, but I plan on trying Parallels transporter for XP on my old laptop.

Now typically how big are the image files or are they the same size as they would be if they were on a HD?

Parallels let you use the dynamic image file: they grow when needed (dynamic expansion) and you can re-compress them using a special tool (Parallels Image Tool). Usually I use 2 image files: 1 for the OS (3-5Gb max) and a second one for docs and application (starting image size about 15Gb). :)

Parallels let you use the dynamic image file: they grow when needed (dynamic expansion) and you can re-compress them using a special tool (Parallels Image Tool). Usually I use 2 image files: 1 for the OS (3-5Gb max) and a second one for docs and application (starting image size about 15Gb). :)

So can you do that separately even if you are going to transport a current install? I don't have Parallels yet, I ordered it (from amazon) and expect it this week. My old laptop has all thew prgrams I will use and I can remove some off of it as well (before transporting)