G5 oem case fans

ho11ywood45

8 posts in this topic

hey guys...

just wanted to see who out there is using the drive fans that came with the G5 case (the ones up next to the hard drive bay)

i have them hooked to the 5v ouput of the molex and im not gonna lie...its pretty loud...

has anyone set up a circuit to drop the voltage? what voltage output comes from the motherboard? and why cant they be directly plugged in..

let me know what you guys think

They cannot be directly connected, because you have to join two pins on that connectors and then connect another two pins to power supply, you know, TribesMan showed. Next aspect is that your mobo can not provide enough of current which fans need. Well, It will probably work, but it is not so good for mobo, I guess. Yeh, and in fan connector on mobo is 12V voltage, so if you need less than 5V to keep them quiet, you have to connect resistor between fan and fan connector on mobo, or select other method. I dont know how many Ohms resistor should have, next thing is that resistor should heat, etc.

Speaking of G5 fans guys - anyone knows how to run original G5 rear fans and processor fan on 5V? I had luck with 12V, too noisy, like a jet. 5V should be fine, but I had no luck. Sometimes sparks and smoke went from the motor of fans, but it worked on 12V again, no damage though. :thumbsup_anim:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
They cannot be directly connected, because you have to join two pins on that connectors and then connect another two pins to power supply, you know, TribesMan showed. Next aspect is that your mobo can not provide enough of current which fans need. Well, It will probably work, but it is not so good for mobo, I guess. Yeh, and in fan connector on mobo is 12V voltage, so if you need less than 5V to keep them quiet, you have to connect resistor between fan and fan connector on mobo, or select other method. I dont know how many Ohms resistor should have, next thing is that resistor should heat, etc.

Speaking of G5 fans guys - anyone knows how to run original G5 rear fans and processor fan on 5V? I had luck with 12V, too noisy, like a jet. 5V should be fine, but I had no luck. Sometimes sparks and smoke went from the motor of fans, but it worked on 12V again, no damage though. :)

How did you connect the wires, which ones to 12v and which ones to black wire(neutral) ?

apple [up until the pro mac] used pretty loud fans.

even in the G3 and eMacs, the fans were very loud, but the density of the case made it quieter. the first iMacs had terrible 92mm fans under the TV tube...i only know because i took one apart before.

i can post pictures of it tomorrow...its too late tonight, my parents are already off to bed, and my dads pissed at me from today, might as well just soften the blow by not being around him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

here is 4 pins...

1 connected to the -

1 witch we'll call "actived" connected to another one (select the fast or slow speed...)

1 not connected (the fast or the slow one not selected...)

i think you have selected the fast wire...

the other one is quieter...

sorry, idon't remember the the command of the pins...

hope this 'll help you...