How to get fully working Max OS X on Gigabyte 965P-DS3

pito

27 posts in this topic

The main goal is to get working Microphone Input or Mic-In on this MB.

Other stuff is only some kind of bonus... :D

I wrote and share this guite with hope it will help the people with mentioned motherboard (maybe DS4 too) to avoid 4 days of misery as in my case. After long searching on the web I finally found this web and some people (Thanks to: Zulu.Walker, Ezhoon) who gave me hints, to finally get fully working OS X.

My hardware:

Motherboard: Gigabyte 965P-DS3 BIOS F9, rev2

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

RAM: 2GiB

HDD: SATA Seagate 250GiB connected to orange SATA port

DVD: PATA LG-H42L

VGA: nVidia 7600GT

Step 1:

Before installing OSX from Jas 10.4.8 Intel.AMD SSE2-3 DVD you should to set BIOS:

open Integrated Pheripherials and set:

Sata Port0-3 Native mode [Disabled]

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode [IDE]

Then you can boot from Jas 10.4.8 DVD and install OS X.

Step 2:

After installation and first boot you have to install: gigabyte_ds3-4pack.1.2.dmg

If the link does not work try to search this web.

post-84204-1177047612_thumb.jpg

There choose by yourself what you need, in my case I choosed everything except PS2 and USB fix, however it worked fine for my MB.

After reboot you should set BIOS:

open Integrated Pheripherials and set:

Sata Port0-3 Native mode [Enabled]

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode [AHCI]

Start OSX.

Network, Sound should work correctly but no Mic Input! If you do not need use Microphone you

can skip next steps and go to Step 5.

Step 3:

Kernel update. Download this mach_kernel and unpack it to your desktop. (original Semthex kernel doesn't work with ALC888 and DaemonES kernel caused problems to start neoOffice :( )

Open terminal and do this commands:

sudo -s

(type your password)

cp /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.back

cp -f ~/Desktop/mach_kernel /

chown root:wheel /mach_kernel*

chmod 644 /mach_kernel*

reboot

If you have difficulty booting after installing, try pressing F8 at boot and type:

-v -f

If you still have difficulty booting, use the old kernel by pressing F8 at boot and type:

mach_kernel.back

If you installed mach_kernel correctly you can test it by opening terminal and typing command:

uname -a

you should get something like this:

post-84204-1177047932_thumb.jpg

Step 4:

Download ALC888Audio.mpkg.zip. Which works for my DS3 perfectly.

Unpack and install it.

Reboot.

You should get Microphone Working. (My goal was to get here! :D )

post-84204-1177048433_thumb.jpg

This I found somewhere on this web and it also works:

If you have 3 outputs working you can setup 5.1 using Audio MIDI Setup found in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder. On the menu bar select "Audio>Open Aggregate Device Editor".

Click on the "+" square and it will add a new aggregate device. Now select "Use" next to each output you want to add(usually the first 3) and click "done". Change Default Output to the "Aggregate Device".

Now select "Aggregate Device" in the Properties For: box and click on "Configure Speakers". Click "Multichannel" and select "5.1 Surround". When your done configuring your speakers the way you want them, make sure you click "Apply" before "Done".

You should now have 5.1 surround sound working.

Step 5:

You can update your Mac from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 using this guide.

I hope this guide (will help) helped at least one person.

And finally Screenshot of my Hackintosh, or whatever ;)

post-84204-1177048747_thumb.jpg

Hi,

this worked a treat for me apart from when I install the Titan Nvidia drivers on the DVD

this makes it hang at boot with a "you need to restart your system" message.

My setup is exactly the same bar my GFX card is a 512mb 7600GS

Please could you suggest any ideas if you have any.

Many thanks in advanced.

Hi,

this worked a treat for me apart from when I install the Titan Nvidia drivers on the DVD

this makes it hang at boot with a "you need to restart your system" message.

My setup is exactly the same bar my GFX card is a 512mb 7600GS

Please could you suggest any ideas if you have any.

Many thanks in advanced.

Press F8 on the beginning anf try to boot with "-v -f" parameters... (without "")

After which steps your PC didn't boot?

I have the same mobo with a sata2 500GB segate hd, It made the first boot partition 128GB,

Then i was able to to a second of 200GB, so it shows up as 2 disks in OSX 10.4.8.

Theres still ~200GB or so missing and os x doesnt see it free in the disk utility,

I see u have a 250GB Hd, any problems similiar?

What would cause this to happen?

Thanks.

I have the same mobo with a sata2 500GB segate hd, It made the first boot partition 128GB,

Then i was able to to a second of 200GB, so it shows up as 2 disks in OSX 10.4.8.

Theres still ~200GB or so missing and os x doesnt see it free in the disk utility,

I see u have a 250GB Hd, any problems similiar?

What would cause this to happen?

Thanks.

Same problem was in my case with 250GiB hdd. In installer I saw only 128GiB hdd so I installed OSX onto first 30GiB partition. After installing Gigabyte pack - (did you try it?) and reboot everything worked fine and I could see whole 250GiB. I have no experience with larger disks... :thumbsdown_anim:

Will this work on a 965P-S3?

Very possibly no!

For Mic in or 5.1 on GA-965-S3 motherboard you must use ALC883 driver!

Try to use this method (Use AppleHDAPatcher 1.14, 1.15 didn't work for me) or better this method.

Other stuff I don't know...

• 2 weeks later...

ู^

^

^

you should try to use system profiler patch (some place in this forum)

in the other way try to update to 10.4.9 andyou will see it :hysterical:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't select 5.1 surround. TTWTT it's in grey (same with lentiflo13 )

but microphone works

I had follow this method...

what I wrong??

my mobo is 965P-DS3 rev 3.3 and using alc888

(and now i'm in 3.1 channel speaker - front and center, rear isn't work)

I've installed jas mac os 10.4.8 on my pc (ds3 + conroe4300).. I put sata native disabled, mode ide and succesfull install

but on the first reboot nothing happens (i can't see anything, like it was waiting for disk..). If I boot with dvd and wait for the end of seconds it shows me : " /com.apple.boot.plist" not found..

after the reboot I put sata native enabled and set to ahci but it is the same..

what can I do??? help (my 160gb sata is on the purple plug)

Guys I just realized something and I need help:

I'm running the DS4 motherboard, which has the ICH8R instead of the ICH8 on the DS3 motherboard. So I want to know whether I can get these same instructions and patches to work on my mobo too?

The gigabyte pack says ICH8 and not ICH8R..so I guess it maybe not be the same one and i may end up making my drives not work, can someone help me here please ^_^

Thanks a lot!

Nice! .

Would really love to make it work on my system... but I cant even boot up and install.

anyone successfully make it work with IDE hard disk + IDE dvd rom?

I've tried plugin both (using those sata to ide converter) to the Orange sata port. It detect both the hard disk and dvd rom, but halfway, it stop at the waiting for root device.

Have tried change the bios, still..doesnt work ^_^

Awesome! :( I got it all working really nicely!! Apparenttly the DVD that I had must have had SATA support for my DS4 mainboard built in because SATA was shown in the system profiler by default and i didn't have to do anything :( And I used the text replacement method to get ethernaet working..and I used the gigabyte DS3-4 pack ONLY for audio, nothing else (as i remembered that one time i selected all the options and it caused os x to not boot up anymore).

So thanks a lot guys! Got a nice dual boot vista + os x system :(

hi everbody:

i`m using a Gigabyte 965P-S3(v3.3 ALC888). Intel Conroe E4300 XFX 7300GT Seagate 320G SATA II Samsung DVD-RW(IDE)

i got everything works well. but i couldn`t start my Mac os x when the first time i open my computer everyday.i have to reset my computer for times.or using Xp for a while .then i can start my Mac os x .

i using "-v" to check . i found i ofen view: AppleVIAATADriver:VIA 8237 SATA(CMD 0x9000,CTR 0x9400,IRQ19,BM 0xa000)

sometimes ,it shows somethings else error.

i don`t know . anybody know that?

Well, I had a running OS X until I followed this. Not sure where it went wrong. Goes beyond grey screen, get a black screen with a blue square in the center, then just a black screen.

Enabled AHCI and Native Support Sata 0-3. What happened?

New here, and 1st post (Hey Khid!!)

I'm seriously considering taking the plunge into my own first hackintosh project using this motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813128012

I can't tell if this is rev 3.3 though (apparently this is what you want?).

I'm intending to use apple's Final Cut Studio, and without a firewire port, how does one view HD content (besides previewing out DVI to 2nd LCD monitor?).

I've built many many PC's in my life time, but this is my first foray into this kind of project. I've no clue on how to get access to the OS and other patches/drivers that I'll need to be doing.

I'm intending to use the system for editing (Final Cut Studio 2), compositing, 3D animation and high end graphics (CS3 Production Premium, LightWave 3D, ...).

Hopefully there's a few friendly folks around here to help me get my mind around the OS install parts (like where to get it, drivers, and patches) ... etc. If I go with this, I'll be documenting everything with photos (before and after) - I'm currently using a PIV 2.0ghz tower w/ 4 IDE drives raided together. 6 year old system.

Attached is my parts list at newegg. Am I missing anything for the critical OS installs?

Thanks in advance.

Hopefully,

Dillon

post-108217-1179690876_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, did your system profiler work ok? mine does not show any of the mobo or video card stuff?

Yes, System profiler works OK, as you can see on the last screenshot.

Nice guide there! But I wonder, I want to dual boot with Vista/XP and OSx86, if I follow your guide (this one), what is recommended? To have Vista or XP installed first? Or, to have OSx86 Installed first?

If you want to do dual boot the hack with chain0 works.

Copy chain0 onto windows partition and use command bcdedit for adding new boot menu item.

I 've used combination of Vista Boot pro and bcdedit...

Guys I just realized something and I need help:

I'm running the DS4 motherboard, which has the ICH8R instead of the ICH8 on the DS3 motherboard. So I want to know whether I can get these same instructions and patches to work on my mobo too?

The gigabyte pack says ICH8 and not ICH8R..so I guess it maybe not be the same one and i may end up making my drives not work, can someone help me here please :)

Thanks a lot!

Gigabyte pack is for DS3/DS4 motherboards.

hi everbody:

i`m using a Gigabyte 965P-S3(v3.3 ALC888). Intel Conroe E4300 XFX 7300GT Seagate 320G SATA II Samsung DVD-RW(IDE)

i got everything works well. but i couldn`t start my Mac os x when the first time i open my computer everyday.i have to reset my computer for times.or using Xp for a while .then i can start my Mac os x .

i using "-v" to check . i found i ofen view: AppleVIAATADriver:VIA 8237 SATA(CMD 0x9000,CTR 0x9400,IRQ19,BM 0xa000)

sometimes ,it shows somethings else error.

i don`t know . anybody know that?

If you set in BIOS Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode [AHCI] it should work, maybe it will boot 15secs longet but it will.