HELP ME! *Noob alert*

NinjaTails

12 posts in this topic

I see that pretty apple logo... and then there's a circle with a slash through it. When I boot with the diagnostics by typing '-v' it stops and says "in6_ifattach: lo0 failed to attach a linklocal address." And then after a while it just says "Still waiting for root device" and it keeps saying that over and over every so often...

I'm running on a Compaq Presario SR2011WM, and I wanted to have a Mac installed on my computer ever since I started using them in a Video Technology class I'm taking. Any help would be highly appreciated, arigato!

Have you tried searching the forums first? There are endless topics about the "Still waiting for root device" error. :)

Oh, and you'll want to use google to search the forum, because the search function on this forum doesn't work too well.

Okay.... I was able to install it successfully, but I've stumbled upon yet another error. It goes to the apple screen, and the little rotating thingy shows up... and then after a while a little icon, a circle with a slash through it shows up on the screen. Any ideas?

Okay.... I was able to install it successfully, but I've stumbled upon yet another error. It goes to the apple screen, and the little rotating thingy shows up... and then after a while a little icon, a circle with a slash through it shows up on the screen. Any ideas?

At the Darwin prompt, enter -v and tell us what errors come up.

• 2 weeks later...

Umm... hello? I have an intel something (not sure which, just know it's 2.6Ghz) Dell Dimension. Which method of installation should I use? I tried viper and it didn't even boot from the CD, and the JaS installation installed but it wouldn't boot.

Press F8 right before "Darwin/x86" appears on the screen and start the kernel with "-v", then you can see why it stopped booting. Is your HD connected through SATA? If Darwin doesn't recognize the SATA controller on your board it stops with the "Can't find root device" error...