10.4.9 update from apple killed my hackintosh

C0mputerNick

7 posts in this topic

Like an idiot i didnt check what updates the system update wanted to pull down and i let it install 10.4.9.

Now my system gets to 'loading darwin' and reboots.

Is there a way to recover from this other than doing a fresh install again?

Can you boot off the 10.4.8 install DVD and somehow install the jas 10.4.9 update from a command line?

I knew better than to go messing with things, it was running so smooth.

Any suggestions to get me out of this mess?

Thanks for any help you can give.

PS.

Will there ever be a 10.4.9 install DVD? possibly a 10.4.8 with a slipstreamed .9 update or something?

You can try rebooting the install disc, then opening terminal, trying to mount the Mac OS partition. Then wipe out the kernel and extension directories. Copy everything back from the install disc. Unless you got some important stuff you need to copy off the HD for backup, its just easier to reinstall JaS 10.4.8 ppf 2 then installing the JaS 10.4.9 Intel SSE3 combo update.

I installed JaS 10.4.9 Intel SSE3 combo last night and I was praying it would boot. It did and have been running smoothly all day. The install was very easy. No setting changes for me since I already had 800Mhz bus so the default settings for 10.4.9 worked fine with my system. Otherwise you'll need to add boot option 'fsb=xxx' BTW, an Intel processor supporting SSE3 is required.

JaS will release another update in the future with SSE2 support and probably AMD too.

Stupid question, what is a ppf? Ive seen them in the titles after i got my Jas 10.4.8 dvd, but dont know what they are.

After I installed .8 on my hackintosh, I was able to get the apple security updates with no problem.

Have you actually tried out the process you suggested above? What if some updates have been installed/hacks applied?

What are the kernel and ext directories?

Thanks for the reply.

The ppf is a patch file that is applied onto the ISO. I've seen at Demonoid a JaS 10.4.8 SSE2 / SSE3 Intel AMD with ppf1 and ppf2 applied already. The patches are for fixing a problem with the Disk Utility included on the DVD image. You can read more at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34871 You may or may not need the ppf if you already got 10.4.8 installed just fine.

I only use Apple Update for software updates like iLife, Quicktime, iTunes, etc; Not for OS X update.

Yes, I had the JaS 10.4.9 SSE3 Intel Combo installed onto my existing JaS 10.4.8 SSE2 SSE3 Intel AMD ppf2. I had a tone of apps already installed before the upgrade. Like I said before, it doesn't hurt to pray to Steve Jobs, JaS, and all the other great developers here for upgrade blessings :-)

All my drivers continued to work including Natit. Don't kill the messenger if something goes wrong, always backup your stuff. You configuration could be different to mine.

Well i did a test install on another HD and then applied the .9 jas patch right after that and tells me that there were errors with the install to try again.

At that point nothing will open (console for instance) and I have to reboot and then am greeted with kernel panics. So its either my machine or a corrupt download of the update. Is .9 worth the upgrade? Any speed improvments, etc?

EDIT:

That raises another question....Are there any speed benifits for the mifki kernel over the semthex kernel or vise versa? Since im doing another install i got to thinking about it. Ive always used the mifki kernel just because my machine would run it. Is there one that is better than the other as far as performance etc?

Thing to note: Its only for Intel processors supporting SSE3. So if your AMD Turion is your test machine, thats why its having kernel panic.

Another option is to try the 10.4.8 ppf2 install, then install the 10.4.9 combo update. Sooner or later JaS will create a complete 10.4.9 SSE2 / SSE3 Intel AMD image. If you got important stuff working on your hackintosh, then there's no urgency to upgrade.

I didn't notice any real difference. Some people said they got huge gains in Xbench scores. I was hoping that I could get my Logitech webcam working without 3rd party drivers with the 10.4.9 update. I'll be trying it this weekend and see if it works with iChat and Skype. One of the 3rd party software publishers created a utility that allowed iChat to use non-iSight webcams via USB. Their support page indicated the 10.4.9 update doesn't require the use of their utility.

My test machine is the Intel box, not AMD so i dont know why im getting a panic.

I cant seem to find a ppf2 disk out there, but have a couple ppf1 disks. But i install fine on my original Jas .8 dvd without any ppfs, and since you said it only fixes a problem with the disk utility i didnt think i needed to install with those.

Ill just wait until the full .9 DVD comes out and see what that does.

Thanks for the help.