New to Forums+ Advice on Selling MacPro + 20" Cinema HD Monitor

4 posts in this topic

Hi all. Am I glad to have found InsanelyMac- clearly you're good mac people. I'm from the San Francisco Bay area, specifically Oakland. Specifically Im looking for guidance- sadly I'm profoundly strapped for cash at the moment and have decided to sell my MacBook desktop and 20" Widescreen Apple Cinema HD Display Monitor. Right now I'm looking for answers and opinions on selling these very expensive pieces of equipment..Specs for the computer are as follows:

Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors

1GB (2 x 512MB) memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)

250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive

16x SuperDrive (double-layer)

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory

Comes with:

OS 10.4.9installed plus all i life apps etc

Original box and styrofoam protective packaging

AppleCare Protection Plan which I will transfer to new owner

What is not included (or not worth including):

*The keyboard is battered from use but it works

*Needs a new mouse.

*Airport Extreme..the first models did not include Airport and I think mine was the first sold at the NYC Apple Store uptown (was living there at the time). The Airport software can be purchased from Apple.

*install and restore cd's

1. What is the best retail channel for a (quick, personal, friendly, and collaborative) sale in San Francisco?..ebay is not an option- takes too long and I'd rather keep this local or posted on a specialized site like this one. Should I post something this major on craigslist? Are there any local S.F. resellers people here trust?

2. What seems like a reasonable price to ask for the computer (originally paid $2499)? The machine is still flawless..The monitor (originally $699). There are a couple small scratches, no dead pixels...the resolution and clarity is gorgeous.

3. Is there software which will allow me to save all my files and apps while erasing the HD completey and securely? Is there an inexpensive and reliable storage online which will accomodate 100+ gigs?

Thanks a lot for any opinions or guidance here. Because I only joined Insanelymac today, not sure it makes sense to post the computer/monitor on the selling forum just yet - I'll wait to hear others opinions on that before I act. Anyone local looking to check it out, please contact me.

Thanks.

You probably spent around 3300-3500 dollars (applecare included), so anywhere from 2800-3100 sounds fair to me

To back up 150+/- gigs, buy a cheap usb external drive for about $100 and grab carboncopycloner or superduper and back it all up to it. an external drive will also come in handy for future backups.

You probably spent around 3300-3500 dollars (applecare included), so anywhere from 2800-3100 sounds fair to me

To back up 150+/- gigs, buy a cheap usb external drive for about $100 and grab carboncopycloner or superduper and back it all up to it. an external drive will also come in handy for future backups.

Thanks- I'll do just as you recommend with the backups. For the asking price I'm eaning towards the $2800-figure-or lower.

Tough to imagine someone on Craigslist willing or able to pony up that kind of cash to hand off to a stranger- Still looking for local S.F. resellers and middlemen.

Thanks

Welcome to InsanelyMac!

eBay is always a decent option, when combined with a notice on a site like this. You can make the process there go as fast or as slow as you'd like (with length of auction, etc)