Video problem....

JustinTD

7 posts in this topic

I have an HP 533w system, uses 2.0Ghz celeron, intel 845GL chipset and intergrated video. I can get to the apple logo for install, but the display after that turns black and white and is garbled. I can make out what i am looking at and when i try to click continue it does nothing. Suggestions?

I have an HP 533w system, uses 2.0Ghz celeron, intel 845GL chipset and intergrated video. I can get to the apple logo for install, but the display after that turns black and white and is garbled. I can make out what i am looking at and when i try to click continue it does nothing. Suggestions?

Look around. I had the exact same problem. Do a search under Failures for "Messed Up Screen" by user Eggman. Good luck!

In your case yuo can install, i can't install since i cant make out what i am doing and the system appears to hang at teh first prompt screen.

NOTE: The video is only 2MB .. i am installing Windows so i can do the BIOS update.

Sorry! Pointed you to the wrong one. Yeah; I had the grainy problem when my AGP Aperture was set to 1 MB. When I upped that to 8 MB, I ended up with the screen problem I sent you to.

Once you have installed Windows and increased the AGP Aperture or whatever you need to do, you can get into Mac OS by first booting into Windows, and then restarting into Tiger.

Sorry! Pointed you to the wrong one. Yeah; I had the grainy problem when my AGP Aperture was set to 1 MB. When I upped that to 8 MB, I ended up with the screen problem I sent you to.

Once you have installed Windows and increased the AGP Aperture or whatever you need to do, you can get into Mac OS by first booting into Windows, and then restarting into Tiger.

Well i did the bios update, still no settings for the AGP memory, BUT i set the primary video from PCI to Onboard, never even thought to check that, when i installed xp, xp says its a 32MB card, when i start darwin, it now detects the chipset correctly and says 7MB .. i'll let you know how it goes... trying to reinstall now

UPdate #1 - no black and white screen, so far its color, i'll update again once i get to the interactive part of the installer.

Update #2 - Appears to have frozen at the Preparing Installation screen, all CD-ROM and HD activity have ceased and the bar no longer spins... do you HAVE to have a certain amount of ram? this thing has 128MB which is shared with the video...

• 4 months later...

I have the same difficulty - the machine is a Dell Dimension 2300, and the BIOS updates don't include the option for advanced video buffer settings. XP allows one to download Intel Extreme graphics drivers which will adjust this, but the option is still not available in BIOS.

Does anyone know of a place to download a non-crippled version of the BIOS for the 845G chipset, so that I can adjust this setting?

Thanks